What do you feed your zoas?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never ever feed them. I have fed reef roids before and they reacted well by closing up. But I’ve found that their coloration and growth are unaffected by lack of feeding. To be honest, I don’t ever see a feeding response when I broadcast feed. Not to say that feeding them isn’t beneficial but even if you don’t, they will still grow and prosper.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed them regularly but witnessed very little to no feeding response from most of them... so now I dose liquid foods which they can absorb from the water column, this method has been working well for my colonies, I’ll just dose bright well amino, koral color, and trace elements...

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose reefroids and lots of fish poop via krill, mysis and brine. I'll also drop in phyto when I have it.
I haven’t figured out how to dose phyto without upping my nutrient load lol I’ll try dosing that again when I get skimmers on my systems

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't specifically feed my zoas but I'm sure they get some of the reef roids that I feed to my other corals twice a week. I have a few palys that I feed mysis to though, because they have a feeding response.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice some look like they catch mysis chunks when I dump some in for the fish, I’ve spot fed with reef roids and some will eat but I didn’t notice a spectacular change in colour or growth so I stopped, my cuc would come and steal it anyways and tick them off more then anything.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed them regularly but witnessed very little to no feeding response from most of them... so now I dose liquid foods which they can absorb from the water column, this method has been working well for my colonies, I’ll just dose bright well amino, koral color, and trace elements...

I use the same. I also recently started using Brightwell Reef Blizzard- XC, which I broadcast 2 or 3 times a week.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using Amino Acids? I have a buddy that's had pretty good results but he's mostly Lps. Thought about dipping my toes into the water...
I do I like them, but skimmers take it out of the water immediately so if you can turn it off while you dose it then turn it on 30 min later for better results

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use SeaChem Fuel about a hour or so before,then I feed a mixture of freeze dried Rotifers and Copepods from BRS.

But I spot feed each frag of z/p and my acan's. Turn the flow off,then dip my hand in an put a little on each frag. Some have more of an aggressive reaction than other but they all close up and eat.

I feel this way is vetter than broadcast feeding the whole tank and food wasting away in nooks and stuff in the rocks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back