What do you feel is the most generally MISUNDERSTOOD part of maintaining a Reef?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think that just because the tank has completed cycling, the biofilter is at full power and its ready to add numerous fish at once right away, up to 4-6-9-12 fish all at once!!! (I saw a thread on this forum where the OP tried to add 12 fish!!! then started a thread to ask why they all died...)

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OldSchool works, keep it simple until you understand the basics. Chemistry is still a Science governed by rules and laws with predictable outcomes. Additives are just chemical compounds that have many uses besides reef tanks, most of what you need is available at Wally World. Make small adjustments early don’t chase bad decisions with more bad decisions, and water changes are cheap do them often! Lastly, Magnesium is probably the reason you can’t get your Calcium up.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think algae is bad when in fact it's very good.

I thought the same thing, but these days I embrace algae. There are some kinds of algae I do not want, like bryopsis. But GHA and anything a tang/snail/crab will eat is good for the tank.

I will never dose Vibrant in my tanks again. Unless you like doing increased water changes to remove the nutrients that will now build up, which btw in many ways might have stopped the algae to begin with.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Liverock” - to get started you need to spend a fortune to buy “Fiji” or “Tonga” or “Pukani” … or large quantities of whatever your LFS is calling “live rock”.

Nonsense - buy just enough DRY ROCK (plain MarcoRocks) to get the aquascape that looks right to you, then go throw a brick of Marinepure or Brightwell XPort into your sump to actually give you the surface area you need for bio filtration. Get it all wet and running and then add a few pounds of aquacultured rock harvested from the Gulf of Mexico to give you the biodiversity you need and then leave it the heck alone.

After 6 months it’ll all be covered by coralline algae and other life that will look fine … and once you add your coral it won’t matter anyway.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feel is the most generally MISUNDERSTOOD part of maintaining a Reef?
That keeping a reef tank is hard, it’s actually quite easy. Regular water changes, keep hands out, don’t add bottles of “instant fixes” and let the tank do it’s thing and be patient. KISS

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back