What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I hope this controller takes off; or I'll have to start looking to build something myself.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this controller takes off; or I'll have to start looking to build something myself.

Wouldn't put much hope in that.:)

Given the history, I would have to agree. When/If they do finally release the new version, it's going to be a brand new controller with brand new hardware and brand new software, so I would consider it a beta version for at least the first 6-12 months. If you're not ok with that then you're best off waiting for other users to discover the bugs and get them worked out.

Curious as to why you say you would build your own if you can't get the cerebra. There are plenty of other controllers on the market - Apex, GHL, Tunze, Reef Angel, ReefKeeper - as well as 'partial' solutions like the seneye.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Curious as to why you say you would build your own if you can't get the cerebra. There are plenty of other controllers on the market - Apex, GHL, Tunze, Reef Angel, ReefKeeper - as well as 'partial' solutions like the seneye.

I do run my system on Apex (actually own 3) but the company's support or true lack thereof leaves a lot to be desired. If nothing else hits the market I will certainly look at GHL but will probably go the DIY route with a Reef-Pi

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news?

They are getting closer to sending out the "beta group" units. Everything looks nice, they are seemingly putting the "Vertex quality" into the whole deal now that it's being built in house. It's just taking much longer than they expected. I think it will be out this year. I know Vertex really wants to get it out and move forward, but have too much invested to release another failure.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are getting closer to sending out the "beta group" units. Everything looks nice, they are seemingly putting the "Vertex quality" into the whole deal now that it's being built in house. It's just taking much longer than they expected. I think it will be out this year. I know Vertex really wants to get it out and move forward, but have too much invested to release another failure.
Nice summary.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the Beta units are supposed to have something a little different about them (like a different logo or something I’m guessing) than the ones that will eventually be released to the general public.
Plus you’ll get yours probably months earlier than the public release.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no dates for when this will be released. Vertex has made comments like we are getting close. A year later and we still don't have them. August at the latest? That is pure speculation!

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly hope they are able to redeem themselves. The new unit looks interesting with the use of Raspberry Pi. I can't imagine the loss they took in after the first beta and now having to provide version 2 to users who purchased it for free.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no dates for when this will be released. Vertex has made comments like we are getting close. A year later and we still don't have them. August at the latest? That is pure speculation!
Well, any date would involve some speculation, but having been along for the ride since the beginning and talking to the head of the project, I have a strong belief we are at least that close.

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben has not been able to provide any release date for us who purchased the original version. we get an update weekly from Ben but still no release date on units shipping to us.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5973.PNG
May 19, 2017 " So we are getting close" Lol!

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. The sad ballad of Cerebra! The experience of beta testers and prospective buyers alike is best summarized by the following illustration:
1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

Beta testers are all just waiting on the (initial) re-release, which is (and always has been) imminent, and expected to occur any day, but cannot be defined, due to the event horizon which exists between consumers and the black hole of Vertex development. At least, that's my working theory based upon the perusal of months worth of "how close are we now?" posts.

In mitigation, we shouldn't rush perfection. After all, it took Michelangelo 4 years to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Vertex has only been at work on the Cerebra for...I dunno...since at least 2010. Here's the link to the "great unveiling" at MACNA 2013 .

Here's a 2011 conversation about the pending release of the Cerebra. Beta testers will especially appreciate the eerie similarity of promises concerning minor delays, final testing, and of course, the infamous by the end of the month. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2086976.html

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex should refund! They sold a product and claimed it could do things it didn't. Vertex realized the product had a serious flaw shortly after its release and they kept quiet for months. Then Vertex offers to replace the Cerebra with a new unit that was expected to be 5 months later. Then it was pushed back another 5 months. 8 months after that date came and went and still no word on when the replacement will happen. You can't get a refund from the original place of purchase and Vertex is unwilling to refund also. I feel like I was scammed as the controller was advertised as being complete and stable and that is a completely false.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back