What fish is this

TSM Aquatics

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i tried my best to search but for the life of me i couldn’t figure it out. any one know what fishy this is please?

F451215A-D0B6-46A4-984F-BAB0D89256AA.png

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I believe that is a starry night blenny. They are a close relative of the standard lawn mower blennies and are great for algae control.

AS

Gtinnel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't have a starry blenny so I'm not sure my experience matters, but I have a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin in my tank and there are no problems between them.

Unless I'm missing something why do you think you can't keep both the starry blenny and the mandarin?

Avast
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't have a starry blenny so I'm not sure my experience matters, but I have a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin in my tank and there are no problems between them.

Unless I'm missing something why do you think you can't keep both the starry blenny and the mandarin?
I thought because they look the same and they're both on the floor. Plus the blenny moves way faster than the mandarin and i feel they might get punked lol.

tbrown3589

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I thought because they look the same and they're both on the floor. Plus the blenny moves way faster than the mandarin and i feel they might get punked lol.
I believe that they are dissimilar enough. How big is your tank? I'd there's enough room for territory for both of them it shouldn't be an issue, especially since they have different diets I believe.

Gtinnel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I've never had an issue so far with them and from what I've read lawnmower are one of the more aggressive blennies. I actually have a lawnmower and midas blenny along with the mandarin and no aggression between any of them, although maybe I've just been lucky so far. My tank is a 125g so not huge but big enough for those 3 fish to have their territories.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh that gives me hope. hmm... i guess if i get a starry i shouldn't pair the mandarins then huh? my DT is 108g. man wondering if i shoulda went 133g now :/
I only have a single mandarin but as I understand it with the size of your tank if it has plenty of pods two mandarins shouldn't be an issue either as long as they're one male and one female.

OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I only have a single mandarin but as I understand it with the size of your tank if it has plenty of pods two mandarins shouldn't be an issue either as long as they're one male and one female.
I was going to seed with pods and a fuge probably to save money but then i found out about penny and she said don't feed pods cuz she trained them with PE mysis???

Gtinnel

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ones that are eating mysis is best but you pay more for them. Hey I just went to the link and saw that multiple females can be kept together. I've been in this hobby for quite a while and I still learn something new all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache
TSM Aquatics

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 125 39.9%
  • NO

Votes: 171 54.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 5.4%
Reef Breeders