What has been your experience with hogfish?

What has been your experience with hogfish?

• Great addition to my reef tank!

Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Not my first choice, but did alright.

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Did not play well with others...

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Will NEVER own one again!!

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Never had one.

Votes: 456 88.0%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What has been your experience with hogfish? I had a yellow candy hogfish in my previous reef, and he was amazing! Did fine with all my other fish. I've heard others who have not had good experiences. What's yours?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine looked similar to this one.

1.jpg

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a spanish hogfish in my 90 gallon reef tank. I got him over a year ago when he was less than an inch. Hes roughly 4 inches long now, outside of nipping at the hairs on my arm when I clean the tank, hes a model citizen in the tank.

Reef_zilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely a delightful fish in my tank. Gets along with Tammy orchid dottyback, yellowtail damsel and two snowflake clowns

Reef_zilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this fish. Almost full grown in my 55g. Gets along real well with my Pygmy angel, orchid dottyback, yellow tail damsel and two clowns. He did not like my diamond goby though. But the goby has since jumped out so it’s all good now

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the type of hog fish. I had a candy hog once as well and it was a great addition to my reef tank. I currently have a Spanish hog in my large reef tank. Like larger wrasses the larger species of hog fish will eat inverts. My Spanish Hog is a big eater and constantly searching the rocks for pods to eat when I am not feeding. Their temperament is peaceful around other wrasses but I suspect the aggression might come out with other hog fish of the same genius. I think with the right size tank and tank mates hog fish will make a great addition to a reef tank.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv'e seen & considered one but shyed away cause they get too big & go thru big color change from the bright colored to a darker plain color.
I edited this part as it was completely unrelated. Sorry MdBannister.

Last edited:

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy hogfish. I have had it for close to two years now.
120g Mixed Reef- lots of coral
2 triggers- sargassum and blue throat
1 starry blenny
1 magnificent fox face

Thus far it’s been okay. The only thing it has show aggressive to was a leopard wrasse. It would have killed the fish if I didn’t intervene eventually. I don’t have any shrimp but I imagine it would go after shrimp as well. Aggressive eater that isn’t afraid to get right into the mix with the triggers.
Let me know if any other questions come to mind!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Spanish hogfish. It is a wonderful fish full of personality. Not aggressive or shy in my 180. In my experience it WILL hunt down every shrimp and crab and eat it. Leaves snails alone entirely. I have enjoyed watching the colour spread across its body. It was around 2 inches when I bought it and is now around 7 inches. I don’t believe they should be kept in anything smaller than a 180.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a yellow candy/two spot hogfish my tank. Hardly ever saw it and it kept to itself. Occasionally saw it picking parasites off other fish. Then saw another at a LFS. They said that two would get along, so I added it too. Instantly, as in within minutes, they began swimming together and have been nearly inseparable since. Plus they are out and about all the time. Have no idea whether this is anomalous behavior and/or it is a result of being in a large space. So maybe I just got lucky, though still very happy that they seem happy.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a yellow candy/two spot hogfish my tank. Hardly ever saw it and it kept to itself. Occasionally saw it picking parasites off other fish. Then saw another at a LFS. They said that two would get along, so I added it too. Instantly, as in within minutes, they began swimming together and have been nearly inseparable since. Plus they are out and about all the time. Have no idea whether this is anomalous behavior and/or it is a result of being in a large space. So maybe I just got lucky, though still very happy that they seem happy.
That’s fantastic!!!

I would love to get another Spanish hogfish but I have only seen one other for sale and it was only an inch long plus I have been worried about it’s compatability with its own kind.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fantastic!!!

I would love to get another Spanish hogfish but I have only seen one other for sale and it was only an inch long plus I have been worried about it’s compatability with its own kind.

Mine happened to be nearly exactly the same size, which may be related to the behavior I experienced. Hard to know as most online sources said they could not be kept together or groups should be introduced together.

Reefer Rod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just brought my candy cane hog fish back to my LFS, had him for 6 months. He was a great fish accept for the fact that he ate 3 of my pistol shrimp, and killed my Randall goby that was with them. So he had to go! BUT if you dont have any shrimp in your tank, then I would say it is a great fish to have. It is always active, and a very good eater.

GL!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy hog fish, he is a good fish. Very fast fish my yellow tang hated him when i got him but he was too fast. Now he pay no attention to him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Had a Cuban and spanish hog many years ago when I had a fish only salt tank and were colorful, hardy and got along well with others.

mejiamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad someone posted this, I've been on the fence about getting a one for my 375 mixed reef. I have very large tangs. Unicorn, orange back, lieutenant, and xl bluethroat trigger pair.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think general consensus is it’s a great fish IF you have no crustaceans.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back