What is giving you trouble in your tank right now?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another bubble algae issue here. I'm going to get an order of emeralds, tuxedo urchins, and Mexican turbo snails before I try anything drastic like a foxface. I've already tried crabs with no results, but maybe if I get them from a different supplier they'll do their job.

Squibege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms. Barely maintained the tank for a while (because life) and have battled the GHA and cyano... but the fluffy brown stuff prevails. Switched from only RO water to RODI so I’m hoping that handles the source of silica. Back to routine water changes now and running GFO and carbon.

I just want to spend $$ on corals and not just water changes and media to fix the bad times...

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have something at one point or another that gives us trouble when it comes to our tanks. Maybe it is a coral that isn't due well, an algae outbreak or equipment not working correctly. I am wondering what is giving you trouble with your tank right now.
After 5 years staying put, my BTA is on the move

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a rock boring urchin who has decided he wants to live in 1 of my overflows. They are absolute beasts, and he keeps dislodging the siphon on that side of the dual overflow haha

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity increasing without dosing -- started 1 month ago in almost 2 year old tank.
*won't go deeper since there are other detailed threads covering sources/solutions

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals won't grow fast enough... also i'm on the bubble algae train with everyone else. However, it is super manageable now that I actually took some time and worked on it lol.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like reading all these problems I don't have.

Real problem? Pretty minor. Engineer gobies won't stop clouding the water. And fish that are jerks to each other. Why can't they just be nice to each other?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Man, everytime someone asks this question, I have a different issue. Last time it was red turf algae... now it is bubble algae.
I feel your pain with the bubbles.

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tank level are off because I went on vacation for a week and can’t afford a apex so my grandma had to watch it :( at least she tried

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For once my only problem is a good one to have.......SPS colonies encrusting and trying to kill each other. I have given up trying to contain and am hoping for the best.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem of the last several weeks is that I have 12 Radion G6 Pro on Mobius. And every day some of the lights are not coming on with the group - and not turning on later in the day. Somedays I have 10 lights on, some days on 7, haven't reached a 50% off yet - that I am aware of. There are power to the lights and Mobius says the lights are connected but they just aren't all coming on.

Dave B
I had to install that whack app…tablet “app’D” out…

Another bubble algae issue here. I'm going to get an order of emeralds, tuxedo urchins, and Mexican turbo snails before I try anything drastic like a foxface. I've already tried crabs with no results, but maybe if I get them from a different supplier they'll do their job.
I’ve seen crabs sold with a “guarantee” to eat bubble algae … I’ve bought those but in short order they were bothering other stuff … not sure if these were menu items but my trust of crabs isn’t much… I’ve had much better luck with spot treatments of peroxide

My current issue: Neptunes whacky MXM module, put it this way: I wouldn’t trust Neptune “reliability” to make space station components

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterinas seem to have developed a taste for both LPS and SPS. Maybe it's a coincidence, either way I bought a harlequin to help deal with them. Problem is I haven't seen my harlequin since the day I bought it and these dudes are still causing issues. Beyond frustrating
PXL_20230808_022617634.jpg
received_591418239817715.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For once my only problem is a good one to have.......SPS colonies encrusting and trying to kill each other. I have given up trying to contain and am hoping for the best.
Have you ever tried to grow out a “base frag”? In other words have you moved a rock (to prevent your current scenario) and had a piece of acro left on the rock that was in “Encrusting mode”?
… I have , and I noticed how weird the thing grew, seemed it took forever to grow sticks….
Just wondering if you have tried chipping back the encrusting base and/or what your experience with it is

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried to grow out a “base frag”? In other words have you moved a rock (to prevent your current scenario) and had a piece of acro left on the rock that was in “Encrusting mode”?
… I have , and I noticed how weird the thing grew, seemed it took forever to grow sticks….
Just wondering if you have tried chipping back the encrusting base and/or what your experience with it is
I actually have........I will sometimes break off the colony and relocate putting a small amount of coral putty on top of the left over encrusted edge that is closest to the colony I am trying to save. It usually just continues to grow and branch out.....sometimes quicker than it was growing previously. I have not tried chipping back though.....my fear I was going to end up breaking my rockwork apart messing with it. As of right now I take some bone cutters and carefully prune branches between colonies weekly. The encrusting I have given up trying to control.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae.
I’ve gave up trying to find ways to consume them . And just remove them manually when they are big enough

Luckily … they’re gathering around my return , wave maker and a huge ball on top of my cheato in my sump .
I’ve lost sleep over there before …..

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 23

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back