What is giving you trouble in your tank right now?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals' flesh receding, likely due to a temp spike. That one day I forget to put the fan on the tank..... that one day.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia!!! They are everywhere. Its the wrong season to get peppermint shrimp so I had to go with the Berghia. They I see them at night on the glass and they are growing huge.. Hopefully I will have this Aiptasia under control soon.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia war. Got shrimp, they’re useless. Got $$nudibranchs$$ and the shrimp $$ate them$$.
But did you get the right shrimp ? There are a lot of shrimp out there that look like and are sold as peppermint shrimp but are not . Look up what a real peppermint shrimp is to tell the difference as once I realized what the real ones were and purchased , I’ve never looked back and would never try anything else if I have a infestation again

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia and palys. Might get a handle on the former but the latter is a lost cause. May as well embrace my paly tank.

I did scrape a nice sheet of gsp off the glass and laid it on top of some palys. We’ll see who wins.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia. Managed to get rid of a bunch in the display but not all, sumps clean but the Weir is absolutely full..

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also on the struggle bus called bubble algae. I tried crabs but they ate my coral so out they came and ive been trying to manually get it out but its wasting a ton of water sucking them out and replacing the water every week.
I only have a 25gallon so all fish that can eat it are out. Im just about ready to yank all the rocks out into a tub to scrub them, drain and scrub the tank and start over.
Update: Trying reef flux at 4x dose and seeing how that goes!

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral element/nutrient uptake has been increasing to the point where I have to start dosing either 2 part or kalkwasser. I have a couple gallons of ESV 2 part hanging around and some Seachem Trace, but dialing it in is always a sketchy prospect on these smaller tanks since miscalculations tend to throw parameters off more than larger tanks.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is some cleaning and moving that needs to be done in tank but only have one hand available....had surgery over a week ago with tendon attachment being main thing....doing everything one handed is extremely diff. Even testing is rough lol but hey got a nice one on my dominant hand now........which makes it even more difficult.....pretty rough image ahead if you have a soft stomache be careful with the next image...

20230824_143445.jpg

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im suspecting my foxface has been eating my calustreas. Over several months i have had to move several colonies from my dt to my qt because they were dying off. Now I discovered what very much looks like someone has been nibbling the back of my last dt colony
IMG_4552.jpeg

My qt has bubble algae, but now there are 7 emeralds there so hopefully they should take care of it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignoring the fish, it’s the Aquilonastra stars. They were taking out coral within hours. I’ve now had a shrimp in place for the last 2 weeks and the tank looks incredibly sterile in comparison!
IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg
Update on this, here’s the before (4-5 weeks ago now) as well as the after. Huge difference and I can now start to add more coral into the tank. Hopefully I’ll be able to introduce another Duncan colony and grow it out to the size my last one was (That was the last straw for the Stars, after that colony was wiped out, the shrimp went in).

IMG_6262.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

calhoun3186

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown diatoms. It does seem to be getting better, and I think its due to the young age of the tank.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me. It grew back but by then then the Foxface was grown up and now he demolishes it.
I cant put a foxface in a 25gallon tank. Although I LOVE them.
How long before you saw the bubbles start to vanish with the 4x? So far im about 48 hours in and see no difference.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back