What is the most expensive item you bought for your tank and no longer use?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecoexotic Panorama pro LED lights. Got in on the gen 1 version, which broke BUT were promptly replaced w gen 2 by the company. They even replaced again w gen 3 after LEDs burnt out on the 2’s. Paid $600 I think for the whole setup, but ultimately everything was underpowered and my whole tank died. No wonder these things are no longer available.

Bright side to this is that I replaced with a very affordable much better LED setup that I’m 6 years into now, so despite the coral losses things are good now!

acrofan2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they just go out? I've read some not so great feedback on AI Hydras...just curious as I may be in the market for new lights within the next year.
Nope just have had better growth with gen 5’s

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Korallin 1502 Calcium Reactor. I could never get it to work right. Repeatedly Crashed my pH. Was told I needed a Luft Pump, for the effluent, more $$$, to get it to work. Still didn’t work. I have two CO2 tanks to boot, one big, and a pony bottle, when the large one is waiting on a refill. Also the Check Valve was Crap, so I replaced that.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IceCap Metal Halide Ballast. My previous reef tank was set up with 6 x VHOs. I never could keep clams or SPS and figured I'd give it a shot. I bought it on closeout from an online seller that was going out of business about the time I took my tank down in 2010. By the time I set up again in 2017, LEDs had come so far I decided to go with them to cut down on heat. Now I'm running 3 x Kessil A360 with 4 x T5. That ballast is still sitting new in the box!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was an ATS. I used it for about 8months. However I sold it for close to what I purchased it for so no harm to foul.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a RoboSnail Auto Glass Cleaner many years ago.

Was fun to setup and watch but once the novelety wore off it has been put back in box and just collecting dust for a while. (outside tank).
I've got one of those in my closet as well. I didn't pay attention to the glass requirements and the tank I got it for was to thick and all the other tanks I had where to small for it to really be used on.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was debating whether it was the Theil wet dry trickle filter with air power skimmer, auto top off float and a ton of bio balls. Used it up through the mid to late 90s on my 300 gallon tank OR more recently an ATI 4 bulb t5 fixture on my 75 that just didn’t have the par. Should’ve gone with the 6 or 8 bulb fixture. Luckily I won two Radion G4 XR15s and replaced it. Just can’t bring myself to sell it though

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Cheato reactor. I just bought some cheato from AlgaeBarn so I’m going to give it another run.
I should have saved my money on that chaeto! I ended up taking this reactor off my tank, just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex system - do to it’s extremely low quality construction. Between original buy in cost and replacement parts - TOTAL waste of money

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back