What is the most reliable heater for nano?

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an evo 13.5 and want to know what everyone has for their heaters and what the most reliable one is in their opinion. I was thinking of getting a cobalt but have heard they leak/explode even though they are supposed to do neither. Haha. I will have this hooked up to my inkbird as a fail safe of course but it’s best to invest wisely anyways!

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and inkbird and cobalt 50 watt heater. I got the inkbird to control the cobalt because of the horror stories, so far no problems. The cobalt is the smallest heater I have seen and fits in chamber two right above my pump for my GFO/Carbon reactor.

In my research the best heating element is the BRS or the Finnex titanium heaters, if you have a sump to put it in. The only problem with these are they come minimum of 200 watts. In my Evo that wouldn't fit any chambers and I would need to put in the main DT....not the look I am going with. So I have the 200 watt BRS element ready to go if the cobalt craps out.....but I think the best plan is setting a date on the calendar every year to replace a $50 heater as best insurance. Keep it connected to the Inkbird!

OP
OP
leighla wolf

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I’ve heard the horror stories on cobalts as well which is why I invested in inkbird as a failsafe and was wondering if it was actually the best route. I did research and found an interesting way which I believe would fit in our tanks. Have our main heater set to the inkbird (so the temperature can not go too high if the heater malfunctions in the on position) and have another one set to the lowest end of what your tank would survive at (so it would only ever kick on IF your main heater failed in the on and the inkbird had to cut it off.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on room temp I would go for 2 50 watts in case one fails, Eheim are very good, add a inkbird and you will have a lot of failsafe.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back