What is this?

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the darker colored algae? It won’t blast off with a turkey baster and barely wants to come off with a blade. I know we have bits of coralline but we can’t figure out what the other stuff is. Any ideas?

image.jpg DFF32865-DEA1-405B-A8F5-C897C61F63B3.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the darker colored algae? It won’t blast off with a turkey baster and barely wants to come off with a blade. I know we have bits of coralline but we can’t figure out what the other stuff is. Any ideas?

image.jpg DFF32865-DEA1-405B-A8F5-C897C61F63B3.jpeg

Please post pics under white lights. Pics with blue lights don't show details.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted more pictures under all whites.
It looks black! If that is the case, I would assume some type of sponge possibly. I haven't seen black coralline algae, but it comes in many colors! A sponge would have a sponge-like feel to it, though. Coralline algae would be hard to the touch.

I have a couple of small spots of something like this in my tank, but only where light can't reach. I think mine is some type of sponge. But, this looks like it is completely out in the open light area of the tank.

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks black! If that is the case, I would assume some type of sponge possibly. I haven't seen black coralline algae, but it comes in many colors! A sponge would have a sponge-like feel to it, though. Coralline algae would be hard to the touch.

I have a couple of small spots of something like this in my tank, but only where light can't reach. I think mine is some type of sponge. But, this looks like it is completely out in the open light area of the tank.
It is completely out in the open! Some of it not so much anymore because we moved some rocks and added a few more, but the rock originally turned green the. We started noticing small spots of the pink and purple coralline. This started about the same time but has exploded. It doesn’t seem sponge like when touching it, but I’m at a loss.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like turf algae
Using a toothbrush. See if it comes off or is stubborn
Turf is stubborn and will need to be treated chemically with vibrant or better yet... fluconasal (flux)

OP
OP
Courtney & David

Courtney & David

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like turf algae
Using a toothbrush. See if it comes off or is stubborn
Turf is stubborn and will need to be treated chemically with vibrant or better yet... fluconasal (flux)
I started using Microbactor Clean and some of the lighter patches of it are already starting to come off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back