What is wrong with my tank

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0caf57dd-2693-4ae0-be7f-c3298d68bdc8-jpeg.1761919

These acans have all been in my tank for the same amount of time but you can see the middle and bottom right one have algae growing between the polyps and don't look healthy..

I also added a few SPS about three weeks ago. Unfortunately most of the SPS I added died. A Stylophora went ghost white overnight - I think it was getting too much flow. All the acropora except the "green hulk" slowly lost their tissue and turned brown. The monti caps just lost their color and turned brown. Im not sure what im doing wrong as my parameters are stable and I adjusted lighting slowly over two weeks.

All the other corals in my tank (elegance, bubble, torches, toadstool, hammer, frogspawn) look great.

Here are my parameters:
alk: 8.46
Ca: 410
Mg: 1440
NO3: ~10
PO4: .06 (hanna ULR)
pH: hovers around 7.95-8.1

lighting is t5 kessil hybrid; 175-275 par at bottom/top

flow is 2 mp40's on reef crest/lagoon mode throughout day, with calm flow at night

Dosing ESV Bionic, kalkwasser, running UV and carbon in a reactor

Its really frustrating watching things not do well. Please help if you can!

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d send a sample to an icp testing place. Might be something in the water you need to add or remove you cannot test for

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d send a sample to an icp testing place. Might be something in the water you need to add or remove you cannot test for
Thanks. I’ve been considering that. I use brightwell salt and I’m not sure if they include all the trace elements needed but you’re right - won’t know until I test

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve been considering that. I use brightwell salt and I’m not sure if they include all the trace elements needed but you’re right - won’t know until I test
Brightwell is a good synthetic salt, but better safe then sorry

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been up? Also, look really hard in your sump and tank for any screws that might have fallen in. My friend was loosing sps, was driving him crazy...turned out there was a rusty screw in his calrx media.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been up? Also, look really hard in your sump and tank for any screws that might have fallen in. My friend was loosing sps, was driving him crazy...turned out there was a rusty screw in his calrx media.
one year since I added water. Thats possible, ill do that. Thank you!

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sweat. They are sensitive for sure but typically if they are all dying you either have pests...which is WAY more prevalent than you think, or there is some form of pollutant in the water. Carbon is always good for absorbing organics. It is not a cure all, but I typically like to run some to keep things that might come off my skin in check.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sweat. They are sensitive for sure but typically if they are all dying you either have pests...which is WAY more prevalent than you think, or there is some form of pollutant in the water. Carbon is always good for absorbing organics. It is not a cure all, but I typically like to run some to keep things that might come off my skin in check.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I quarantined them for about 45 days, dipped in Bayer and coral RX before going into the QT and coral RX coming out of QT. They were fine until adding to the display.
Good point about hands in the tank. I mounted a bunch of corals so maybe that had something to do with it.
Maybe the coral RX killed them.. idk

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh - im noticing some of my LPS are showing signs of polyp bail out.
Only change is I increased the photoperiod of my T5 lighting by about an hour.

What is going on ;Vomit

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh - im noticing some of my LPS are showing signs of polyp bail out.
Only change is I increased the photoperiod of my T5 lighting by about an hour.

What is going on ;Vomit
Sounds like you have a contaminant. Run some carbon, brightwell purit, polyfilter etc and Send an Icp test off ASAP. Did you recently get a new bucket of salt? How long has it been since you changed your ro/di media?

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a contaminant. Run some carbon, brightwell purit, polyfilter etc and Send an Icp test off ASAP. Did you recently get a new bucket of salt? How long has it been since you changed your ro/di media?
I changed my DI recently and my prefilters. less than 5TDS into DI and 0 out. I haven't changed my RO..

I do run carbon and change it every 21 days

I did start using a new bucket of salt but its been at least a month..

I think an ICP test is the only way to know - ill probably get the ATI one so I can get some info on my RODI water as well

thanks for helping

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be a contaminate unless your testing is off. Pests would affect different corals differently.

Been thinking hard on this as I really want to help... One thing that I have seen a time or two is people burning incense or using air freshner in the same room as the aquarium and have it result in pretty damaging events. Any of that going on? Construction in the house? The only real way for pollutants to come into the tank is via something you put (or dropped) in there or through the air..

Maybe take a magnet from a power head or something.. and run it through the sand and see if there is some metal rusting in the sand bed?

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be a contaminate unless your testing is off. Pests would affect different corals differently.

Been thinking hard on this as I really want to help... One thing that I have seen a time or two is people burning incense or using air freshner in the same room as the aquarium and have it result in pretty damaging events. Any of that going on? Construction in the house? The only real way for pollutants to come into the tank is via something you put (or dropped) in there or through the air..

Maybe take a magnet from a power head or something.. and run it through the sand and see if there is some metal rusting in the sand bed?
Thank you! Good idea with the magnet. I’ll do that.
I’m sending off an ICP test tomorrow morning.
my fiancé does burn candles occasionally but not for long and I always run carbon so hopefully pollutants are kept to a minimum.
I’m going to pull everything out of the sump tomorrow so I can be absolutely certain there’s no metal in there & inspect all the magnets as well.

a friend of mine suggested that my low nitrate and phosphate is causing the corals to die off. Not sure if that’s the culprit either.
Hopefully the ICP test comes back quickly and I can get some clarity

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to google the stray voltage thing to learn how to do it correctly. You can't just stick the probes in the tank.
If things are faded looking or your running gfo it could be low nutrients. Low is much more harmful than high!

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My ICP result came in with elevated tin, slightly elevated aluminium
reduced iodine, bromine and lithium.

are water changes all I can do? 10%/day okay? while dosing PO4/NO3 to make sure they don't bottom out

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0caf57dd-2693-4ae0-be7f-c3298d68bdc8-jpeg.1761919

These acans have all been in my tank for the same amount of time but you can see the middle and bottom right one have algae growing between the polyps and don't look healthy..

I also added a few SPS about three weeks ago. Unfortunately most of the SPS I added died. A Stylophora went ghost white overnight - I think it was getting too much flow. All the acropora except the "green hulk" slowly lost their tissue and turned brown. The monti caps just lost their color and turned brown. Im not sure what im doing wrong as my parameters are stable and I adjusted lighting slowly over two weeks.

All the other corals in my tank (elegance, bubble, torches, toadstool, hammer, frogspawn) look great.

Here are my parameters:
alk: 8.46
Ca: 410
Mg: 1440
NO3: ~10
PO4: .06 (hanna ULR)
pH: hovers around 7.95-8.1

lighting is t5 kessil hybrid; 175-275 par at bottom/top

flow is 2 mp40's on reef crest/lagoon mode throughout day, with calm flow at night

Dosing ESV Bionic, kalkwasser, running UV and carbon in a reactor

Its really frustrating watching things not do well. Please help if you can!
How long has your tank been up?
Have you put in any live rock?
Do you do regular water changes?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back