What is wrong with my tank??

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand your frustration. I'd suggest following vetteguy53801's advice carefully. You've got multiple problems going on with dino and cyano and probably some other stuff. But all or most of them are dependent on light, so cutting light down should help. Run your skimmer to collect soluble waste that will accumulate as things die off. Run a UV if you have one. BTW, what is your source water? Are you using RODI?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have the spinning nozzles on my tank so sometimes the surface is calm, my return pump is the stock one that came with the tank
with API, you are likely getting false Nitrate readings which this kit is notorious for. Get a second test opinion if possible.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand your frustration. I'd suggest following vetteguy53801's advice carefully. You've got multiple problems going on with dino and cyano and probably some other stuff. But all or most of them are dependent on light, so cutting light down should help. Run your skimmer to collect soluble waste that will accumulate as things die off. Run a UV if you have one. BTW, what is your source water? Are you using RODI?
Yup I’m using RODI and I’ll follow the steps to get rid of dinos again and see what happens

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a UV sterilizer but all the ones they sell on amazon looks like they wont fit in the back chamber of a 25 gal AIO tank
You're correct about that I think. For a small tank, you can get something like the Green Killing Machine. It's an all-in-one UV/Pump that you can just hang in your DT temporarily. I've read other posts where people have used it and like it, but I can't recommend it myself because I've never used it. I imagine there must be other similar products out there. Good luck!

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct about that I think. For a small tank, you can get something like the Green Killing Machine. It's an all-in-one UV/Pump that you can just hang in your DT temporarily. I've read other posts where people have used it and like it, but I can't recommend it myself because I've never used it. I imagine there must be other similar products out there. Good luck!
Would a 9V uv sterilizer be enough?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I run the UV and skimmer at the same time. And also dose bacteria with the hydrogen peroxide?
UV and skimmer yes. Don't dose hydrogen peroxide with bacteria at the same time. Give it several hours in between. When you dose the bacteria, turn your skimmer and UV off for an hour or two.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV and skimmer yes. Don't dose hydrogen peroxide with bacteria at the same time. Give it several hours in between. When you dose the bacteria, turn your skimmer and UV off for an hour or two.
Okay so dose bacteria in the AM and then peroxide at night, should I do a total blackout or just keep the white lights off on my tank

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so dose bacteria in the AM
If you’re going to dose bacteria, IMO turn off your skimmer. Be careful with dosing peroxide.
I’d scrub all that junk off the rocks with a toothbrush and do a good water change. 4 or 5 gallons. Turn your lights off for 3-4 days. Then suck out all the dying cyano with another 4 gl water change.

DO YOU clean the sand regularly!!! If not then only vacuum 1/4 to 1/2 each time.

Or just RIP clean your tank and call it a day!!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so dose bacteria in the AM and then peroxide at night, should I do a total blackout or just keep the white lights off on my tank

I'd follow what @vetteguy53081 said as closely as possible. He's been doing this longer than almost anyone on this site.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bacteria during day and h2o at night. Lights off for 5/6 days. If you have light sensitive coral, blues at 15%

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F627892-BE41-4859-9948-471455E97B8C.jpeg

Now I have a TON of cyanobacteria

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chris. So sorry you are having this trouble. For now make this gadget I have seen on another post and suck out all you can. Even some of the sand, the sand you can maybe clean and sterilize to reuse. I am using this setup to remove my algae, also anything else like maybe aiptasia. Get a siphon started into a bucket and suck out all that crap. Just keep doing this, eventually it may go away.

Attachments

• 20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 45

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stainless Steel straw 1/4" inside a 1/2" hose with a rubber band for a seal. Works great.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back