What is yellow thing and how do I remove it?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, yes it is a sponge. I wouldn’t remove it. Almost any coral will outcompete them for space. I think the issue with the frogspawn was likely due to a multitude of issues, not just a sponge rubbing up against it.
Most species prefer darker zones of the tank and will not do well in high light settings.

so whats wrong with it? its been happy and is growing a new head... still open but not fully.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, yes it is a sponge. I wouldn’t remove it. Almost any coral will outcompete them for space. I think the issue with the frogspawn was likely due to a multitude of issues, not just a sponge rubbing up against it.
Most species prefer darker zones of the tank and will not do well in high light settings.
Also frogspawn is no where near sponge, i said earlier its on a rock with zoas

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges and coral have a symbiotic relationship the coral actually uses the cells shed by sponges there was a study done dont remember the link read it years ago with closed environments with active sponge growth the coral was healthier and grew faster then the ones without but encrusing sponges such as those can cause a problem to the near by coral by overgrowing it so id just watch it and see if it tryes to over grow the coral and if you find more want it gone and want to see somthing amazing put the sponge you remove into tank water in a blender the let the water sit for a few days and it'll reform a new sponge smaller but still alive

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges and coral have a symbiotic relationship the coral actually uses the cells shed by sponges there was a study done dont remember the link read it years ago with closed environments with active sponge growth the coral was healthier and grew faster then the ones without but encrusing sponges such as those can cause a problem to the near by coral by overgrowing it so id just watch it and see if it tryes to over grow the coral and if you find more want it gone and want to see somthing amazing put the sponge you remove into tank water in a blender the let the water sit for a few days and it'll reform a new sponge smaller but still alive

sounds cool but i wouldnt put anything from my tank into my blender lol

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my bad, I thought I had uploaded it...

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 6.47.41 PM.png
It is not dangerous but will irritate the coral

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's possible to entirely remove it but you can rip off the sponge
i did that and some wouldnt come off so it rotted away in the water and now my frogspawn is opened but not fully. did it release something when it died

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also most sponges will be killed by simply exposing them to air not all as there are exceptions I keep black Fiji branching none entrusting sponges and they come from tidal environments that are exposed to air 12 hrs a day and are also partially photosynthetic I do not know about that type tho but alot of the colored ones are partially photosynthetic and can and will overgrow and kill coral best word of advice I can give is to just watch it and make sure it does not try and overgrow anything if it does try just bring the rock above water shake it to trap air inside the sponge and it will most likely die off if it does not then scrub it and rinse it in removed tank water as any tiny partials can and will become new sponges

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I dont know of any that are poisions but by it rotting away it could of cause a slight spike in nutrients that is making your frog spawn mad and yes they are correct it could be the cells they release on death to make new ones ticking off your frog spawn

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... some sponges are very toxic to enable them to compete with crowded coral reefs. I believe they only really release toxins though if damaged, eaten or they die.
Im running carbon and gfo right now so should i do a water change right away? all the other corals are happy even the zoas they died next to

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running carbon and gfo right now so should i do a water change right away? all the other corals are happy even the zoas they died next to
Personally I’d just keep an eye on the other corals and hope that IF toxins were release it was a small amount/local to that area. However, if you are due a water change wouldn’t hurt.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back