What is your dream captive-bred fish?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being a lover of angels, I’d love to see a greater abundance of hardier captive bred angels.

- Masked Swallowtail
- Masked
- Potter’s
- Conspicuous
- Resplendent

It would also be great to have some flagship species that are stereotypically hard to keep long-term (deep water, or enter the trade unhealthy):

- Rhomboidalis Wrasse
- Quoyi Parrotfish
- Powder Blue Tangs
- Moorish Idol

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
  2. Exquisite Fairy Wrasse ( Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
  3. Lawnmower Blenny ( Salarias fasciatus )
  4. One Spot Foxface ( Siganus unimaculatus )
Love your fish! I have several (Yellow Tang, Mandarin Goby, Aptasia Eating Filefish) and they have been happy and healthy For 0.5-1.5 years now! (knock on wood)

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have several including a yellow tang, 2 mandarins, and a swallowtail angel.

I'd like to add a blue tang to that group - which I know you're working on already.

Beyond that, anything that's in high demand that seems to adapt poorly to captivity. Number one on that list for me is the moorish idol. But tangs in general seem to be in high demand. I don't believe captive bred achilles, powder blue or gem tangs have made their way to market yet...

Edit: Those aurora anthers look pretty amazing too.

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised more people aren’t saying Wrasse, they have to be in the top 3-5 most popular species.

Leopard wrasse of any kind would be amazing. Possum wrasse, Pink streaked wrasse, i think any wrasse species that has a bad survival rate to help with wild caught species reduction.

Some more deep water Basslets would be incredible -Lipogramma evides, Lipogramma klayi, Lipogramma trilineatum

Tomini Tang would be great! Bristletooths of any kind :)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your site I see you have breed a fair number of different fish. Many of which I would like. Sadly only a small fraction of what you bred are available at any given time. So basically I would like to see the existing fish more readily available. I would like to see a lot more captive bred fish in local stores. Preferably in separate systems so they do not get contaminated by wild caught fish. I feel that defeats one of the major advantages of buying captive bred fish.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flasher and fairy wrasses for sure, but I have a special place for Wetmorella’s. I would love to see fusilier damselfish and you can add me to the trimma cana list. Although I don’t have a big enough tank, I’m with jda on the genicanthus request, such great fish once you get past all the hurdles. I’m also a fan of captive bred utilitarian fish, zebrasoma, algae blennies and the like, so keep up the great work.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More roundheads. I know you guys have done marine bettas and plesiops corallicola (I have one) but there are so many other species that are insanely beautiful.

Last edited:

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genicanthus is one we need to do again. We had a few awesome batches about 9 months ago of the Genicanthus semifasciatus but that whole genus is one that I personally think could be a next breakthrough for the industry.

We do have captive-bred purple tangs available now (I think there's 2 more left on our site) but zebrasoma is a genus we seem to be having some pretty good luck with.

One rare deepwater fish we have had success with but haven't found the market for quite yet is the Aurora anthias (Pseudanthias calloura). They're really really cool but they're protogynous so all of our stock has the female coloration.

that’s not a deal breaker for me on the Aurora.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back