What is your dream captive-bred fish?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would really love to see some more of the shrimp gobies! I'd much rather buy captive bred than wild caught but it seems all the captive bred shrimp gobies are the larger species (like the yellow watchman) - would love to see smaller ones like the orange spotted, yasha, or Wheeler's.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would really love to see some more of the shrimp gobies! I'd much rather buy captive bred than wild caught but it seems all the captive bred shrimp gobies are the larger species (like the yellow watchman) - would love to see smaller ones like the orange spotted, yasha, or Wheeler's.
We are working on some more gobies, we seem to have found a great niche with the Trimma and Eviota gobies where there is such a high diversity and demand for these little guys. I think it's because of the short life span making a wild-caught alternative generally not worth it.

We did carry some of RWU's captive-bred yasha gobies when they were available but unfortunately that project is no longer going, hopefully we can resurrect it with yashas, draculas, and a few other key shrimp gobies.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I echo the desire for captive bred eels.

One fish I'd love to see again is Trimma cana. Nothing against the other Trimmas, but this one is the nano fish I want.

Oh! Or literally any of the smaller nano sized fish. Aiolopis megastigma, Apogon parvulus, Discordipinna griessingeri, etc.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, Poma Labs already beat us to these guys although I don't think the pricing is going to come down anytime soon.

that’s true, but they don’t have exclusive ‘rights’ to breed them do they?

any rare fish being captive bred is a catch-22 i suppose as it will drive the price down, but any wild fish you help prevent being caught would be that more helpful in case it gets into an endangered status being as they are rare in the first place.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I echo the desire for captive bred eels.

One fish I'd love to see again is Trimma cana. Nothing against the other Trimmas, but this one is the nano fish I want.

Oh! Or literally any of the smaller nano sized fish. Aiolopis megastigma, Apogon parvulus, Discordipinna griessingeri, etc.
We got you on the Trimma cana ;) it'll just be a little bit along with a few other Trimmas. I personally tried the both Aiolopsis megastigma and Discrodipinna griessingeri many years ago with no luck. Both are incredibly sensitive and there's such a short spawning window in their life cycles which make it very difficult. Although we did have success with Ostorhinchus sealei which is very similar I can imagine parvulus would prove difficult.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet!
We captive breed mandarins and they're available right now on our ordering site below:

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
captive bred regal tangs
Working on it ;)
Larval Blue Tang 2.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything high demand, rare and or endangered...
but personally I love Rock Beauty’s and Moorish Idols

are you ok with a lil deviation? if not apologies
@Biota_Marine are your spawning, rearing and feeding procedures protected/proprietary? or do you folks have publishing’s somewhere?
I’ve. also noticed some patterns such as scoring more “hits” within the same family and/or genera (which figures), so can you folks provide rough outlines and sequential success? did you find species specific issues with the same geneva’s?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jake! Another vote for copperband butterfly, because I'd like to see some captive bred focus on relatively common/affordable fish that people buy all the time but then struggle to keep alive. Likewise for fish like e.g. multibar angels, that generally do ok if you can get them established, but are known for not tolerating capture/shipping/quarantine very well. The trick is finding fish in the pricing sweet spot where it's worth it financially for someone to captive breed them, but not so pricey that the add-on cost for captive bred vs wild caught puts them out of range of the typical hobbyist.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything high demand, rare and or endangered...
but personally I love Rock Beauty’s and Moorish Idols

are you ok with a lil deviation? if not apologies
@Biota_Marine are your spawning, rearing and feeding procedures protected/proprietary? or do you folks have publishing’s somewhere?
I’ve. also noticed some patterns such as scoring more “hits” within the same family and/or genera (which figures), so can you folks provide rough outlines and sequential success? did you find species specific issues with the same geneva’s?
To pull the curtain back a bit:

So our breeding procedures are protected and proprietary, as you've likely noticed on a few specific species certain companies have followed suit with species we've had success with, while we try to steer clear on stepping on any toes (I mentioned the conspics and Poma Labs above, Matt worked really hard for years to breed that species and there isn't really any reason for us to start that up). That being said we work very closely with the Oceanic Institute of Hawaii on the yellow tangs and I believe there are a few publications regarding that species.

We try our best to breed fish that are in need in the marketplace and branch off of that. If you take a look at the main species we're known for like the mandarins, court jester, trimma, and blotched anthias all these species have a horrible survival rate from wild sources for various reasons (diet, life span, swim bladder/depth; diver's often die to get blotched anthias at certain parts of the year) so there was a major need to needlessly prevent these species being imported only to die along the chain of custody. We also branch into species that we think will provide breakthroughs to further our research (Genicanthus, Zebrasoma, Centropyge, ect.). We have broodstock for Centropyge abei that we revealed at MACNA a few years ago and in the meantime we've been working on more common Centropyge with commercializing coral beauty angelfish.

So there are similarities within genera but every single species has their own quirks and differences to get them to a point where they are viable at a commercial level. Some may never be viable because of their larval duration or grow-out times. An example of this is the candy basslet which has roughly a 4-5 month larval duration prior to settlement which is absolutely insane.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot, but the two most realistic ones that come to mind are hawkfish and firefish.

Since it said dream fish, my dream would be for fairy gobies, interruptus angels, and flasher wrasses to be captive bred.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back