What is your dream captive-bred fish?

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the smaller tilefish would be neat to see nice their survival rate is poor. They are super cool looking fish

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copperband butterflyfish or any flasher wrasse.

Another option is any fish that does a service for the ocean and should be left. So basically anything that eats algae, parasites or pests. This is stuff we need for our reef aquarium but also should be left in the ocean because they help the oceans.

We also need more breeding of urchins. I know some are successful in this area.

Another thing is more snails.

These are all things that do a service for the ocean and should be left but we need in the hobby.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with this is when that fish is wild caught it's mostly just a swoop of the net among coordinated divers while breeding the fish involves housing the broodstock (sometimes for years), food, electricity, labor, live feeds, and months of grow-out. So while wild caught pricing is based on demand or rarity our pricing tries to get as close as possible but needs to take into consideration the months of complete expert care to raise that fish to a sellable sizing.

So we do try to get most of our fish at the lowest pricing possible but built into that cost is everything mentioned above and research for new species. I also believe we have the best breeding teams in the world so its worth it :p
why don't you start a patreon so people can support you without buying fish and you can get you're prices down

also for my dream captive bred fish fairy and flasher wrasses more tangs and butterflys

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

There's a few that I would love to see:

1) Eels - Specifically, Golden Dwarf, but really any eel would be nice.

2) Anthias - Sunburst, Purple Queen, Evansi, Bartlett's... lots of gorgeous anthias out there.

3) Copperband Butterfly

4) Fairy, Flasher or Leopard Wrasses

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why don't you start a patreon so people can support you without buying fish ...
Please not Patreon, but another would be a great idea. I really like this idea. :)

@Biota_Marine
In fact a stream to go with it would be even better. I think more interactive social media would be a huge benefit to what you doing. Like: twitch.tv/adorablestars this is a good example ... sadly this channel is a kitten mill, but how they are working the interwebz would be a really good way of extending your reach.

Last edited:

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, the magnificent Centropyge resplendens

First saw them in the early 90's at Quality Marine in LA. They came in maybe 10-15 at a time.

Lots of "stories" about their origin. Some said a Navy diver caught a handful at a time and threw them in a backpack to carry back to Europe in a weekly cargo plane.

Last I saw was around 99, last I heard of some in circulation was mid 00's...

The ones being captive bred in Hawaii are NOT C. resplendens, they're a hybrid.

So... Biota, what's the story with them? I imagine the problem is multifaceted. The UK named the area a Marine Reserve in 2016... so no commercial collection, for sure. No commercial flights... a zillion miles from anything? Maybe some special research permit granted to collect a handful?

Last edited:

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please not Patreon, but another would be a great idea. I really like this idea. :)

@Biota_Marine
In fact a stream to go with it would be even better. I think more interactive social media would be a huge benefit to what you doing. Like: twitch.tv/adorablestars this is a good example ... sadly this channel is a kitten mill, but how they are working the interwebz would be a really good way of extending your reach.
why not patreon?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not patreon?
They don't follow their TOS and they ban people based on whims. I don't want to get too into what they do in the public if you want more info DM me.

Suffice it to say no matter how good the cause I won't support it there. There are other solid alternatives to Patreon.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if something like Patreon is the right solution for fundraising in this area. It might be possible to set up a true charitable foundation connected to Biota Marine for research purposes, which would better allow for tax deductions and all that. Or sell some merchandise, eg framed photos of marine life.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you limited to Pacific fish? I am guessing not as you are raising the Golden Cuban Basslet.
How do you prevent eggs and larva from getting washed into the sea and introducing a non-native species?

I want to echo jda.
I realize there is a price point on which you can get sufficient return on investment. However, please focus on fish in the < $500 dollar range. Otherwise, they will always be out of reach of the majority of aquarists. Bringing all of the $50 to $200 dollar, bread and butter fish, into production would be amazing. I hope to witness that in my lifetime.

Keep up the good work!!!!

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you limited to Pacific fish? I am guessing not as you are raising the Golden Cuban Basslet.
How do you prevent eggs and larva from getting washed into the sea and introducing a non-native species?

I want to echo jda.
I realize there is a price point on which you can get sufficient return on investment. However, please focus on fish in the < $500 dollar range. Otherwise, they will always be out of reach of the majority of aquarists. Bringing all of the $50 to $200 dollar, bread and butter fish, into production would be amazing. I hope to witness that in my lifetime.

Keep up the good work!!!!
We actually have 4 separate facilities around the world. Our largest and most productive is our Palau facility where we started and we have facilities in North Carolina, Hawaii, and Florida. Our Florida facility is our holding, grow-out, and distribution facility while the others are our breeding facilities.

Pricing does come down as we fine tune species. Previously our cuban basslets were around $1500-$2000 and we brought them down to $600 recently.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually have 4 separate facilities around the world. Our largest and most productive is our Palau facility where we started and we have facilities in North Carolina, Hawaii, and Florida. Our Florida facility is our holding, grow-out, and distribution facility while the others are our breeding facilities.

Pricing does come down as we fine tune species. Previously our cuban basslets were around $1500-$2000 and we brought them down to $600 recently.
You wouldn't happen to be hiring in your US-based facilities at this moment, would you?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where in NC, is it a facility that I could tour ? I live here in NC, would love to experience your success in person.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, the magnificent Centropyge resplendens

First saw them in the early 90's at Quality Marine in LA. They came in maybe 10-15 at a time.

Lots of "stories" about their origin. Some said a Navy diver caught a handful at a time and threw them in a backpack to carry back to Europe in a weekly cargo plane.

Last I saw was around 99, last I heard of some in circulation was mid 00's...

The ones being captive bred in Hawaii are NOT C. resplendens, they're a hybrid.

So... Biota, what's the story with them? I imagine the problem is multifaceted. The UK named the area a Marine Reserve in 2016... so no commercial collection, for sure. No commercial flights... a zillion miles from anything? Maybe some special research permit granted to collect a handful?
That's a very great question I believe Frank Baensch was breeding these hybrids a long while ago. His website is a great source for a ton of captive-bred information as he does both in tank spawning and grabbing batches of eggs from wild spawns.

I don't believe any of those are in circulation any longer. I know they are in a protected region and have incredibly limited range so I don't foresee us being able to get them or a resurgence in the industry.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk for me. I love this fish.
You've got great timing then! Mr. Su in Bali was just able to breed the harlequin tuskfish. It wasn't us but we do very much appreciate all the work he does out there and the break throughs he has with tons of fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got great timing then! Mr. Su in Bali was just able to breed the harlequin tuskfish. It wasn't us but we do very much appreciate all the work he does out there and the break throughs he has with tons of fish.

Yes. I read about it in Corals

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back