What is your favorite Aquarium Fish?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go with the Marine Betta. Cool colors and loves to just hang out...

Betta1.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three blennies in my tank; starry, midas and orange-spot, and they sure do come in for a lot of compliments from guests!

I'll also admit a fondness for wrasses of just about any sort, along with dragonets, angelfish and gobies.

My obsession though, and the fish that makes my breath catch these days, every time his swims by, rowing those blue, red-striped pectorals, is this guy:
20171120_171443.jpg

Phone does a lousy job of capturing his subtle colors, but this fellow's a Quoy's (Scarus quoyi) parrotfish about 5" long.

~Bruce

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Midas Blenny is not fang blenny so they don’t have any poison. Also midas blenny form a relationship with lyretail anthias and swim together in the wild to blend in from predators.

Yea i just had that assumption in my head for some reason and after this thread and reading im going to look for a small one

Very cool info on the anthias even though they are NOT my favorite fish in my tank [emoji6]

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hard to pick just 1, so top 3 it is lol. In no specific order:
Clown triggerfish, Achilles tang, and Harlequin filefish. I do not see myself ever owning any of these except for an Achilles tang, and possibly the filefish if I find one for sale that will eat anything other than coral. I don’t think I have the patience to feed one only acros for months while I pray it will move onto a normal captive fish diet.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No great pics as my cell phone doesn't do well...My fav's right now have to be my orange spot goby and my pistol shrimp. They move all around my small tank digging their burroughs, but mostly stay right in the front. My pistol shrimp, I call him "Dozer," works all day long while the goby stands watch and shares his food.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this has me looking into blennies i allways avoided them because of poison

Glad to see your blenny curiosity has been piqued. As ewcc1993 sort of mentioned, midas blennies and the other types of comb-toothed blennies are not venomous, only fang blennies are. And even then, it is often misunderstood. They're not aggressive with it in any way. Rather they use it to defend from larger prey ... typically biting a larger fish that is trying to eat them on the inside of their mouth in an effort to escape.

I've only once heard of anyone on the forums being bitten by one ... while removing live rock from his tank and not realizing his blenny was hiding in a hole he partial blocked with his thumb when picking up the rock. Here are couple of articles on it if you're interested in learning a little more about 'em.

A Blenny in the Swimtrunks

A Tiny Fish with Fearsome Fangs

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your blenny curiosity has been piqued. As ewcc1993 sort of mentioned, midas blennies and the other types of comb-toothed blennies are not venomous, only fang blennies are. And even then, it is often misunderstood. They're not aggressive with it in any way. Rather they use it to defend from larger prey ... typically biting a larger fish that is trying to eat them on the inside of their mouth in an effort to escape.

I've only once heard of anyone on the forums being bitten by one ... while removing live rock from his tank and not realizing his blenny was hiding in a hole he partial blocked with his thumb when picking up the rock. Here are couple of articles on it if you're interested in learning a little more about 'em.

A Blenny in the Swimtrunks

A Tiny Fish with Fearsome Fangs

Thanks i will read when i have more time

But i try to avoid poisonous fish even if the risk is low
I have gotten “stung” by tangs and a couple other fish it does not feel good and those were with no poison at all and i had pain to the bone for at least a day its just not worth it when something could get spooked

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to top a mated pair of clowns in a magnifica anemone - too bad the latter is so hard to acclimate. My fish faves would be, in no particular order, regal angel, Achilles tang and leopard wrasse.

Back