What makes torch coral do this!!

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my torch goes from fully inflated, swaying to one head just deflated. I’m curious what makes a coral do that??

Some say the stuff that comes out of the mouth is not good, any insights!!!

Looking for insights, experience and advice.

Here are some pics

Happy, Fluffy
7731e07485ff8225fe543bec413cdbe3.jpg

TO

Then like this
7a995343217ff0e68b95d6cee37bd090.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a clown in the background of the first picture. Does the clown bother it at all?

Naa. Those clowns don’t host anything. They are always in the background [emoji23]

I wish they host the Duncan or some colony!!

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but mine will close 1 head occasionally while others are open. Ive always wondered if it possibly caught something bigger to eat and closes up while digesting it.

Ya I always wonder. I do notice that when they excrete they close down... is that a good thing. Do you see that to??

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just consider it the wonderful world of corals.
Corals are unpredictable in cases and you can't control their behavior.
As long it ain't sliming up your good

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issues with my torch. My Gold-bar Maroon clown ate her RBTA, and nips at the torch, but hosts a Blasto by day, and lives in a empty Conch shell.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second that they can an will close up from time to time. When they all close up and stay that way, it's time to see if something is out of wack. Test your water and check your equipment.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. These guys will close up if they caught something floating in the water to eat. Maybe a fish bumped them, or a tentacle from another coral. Still looks good. Keep an eye out for truly closing up.

I just had a torch manage to come through my silicon oops in a 6g and it is finally showing signs of getting better. It has had short tentacles and they are finally lengthening and it is healing nicely. Thank goodness. They can take a lot if healthy environment is there.

Clowns may be checking it out. Never know. Maybe one day my percs will find the many euphyllias I have and try to find a nice shelter. Instead of my overflow pvc.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just consider it the wonderful world of corals.
Corals are unpredictable in cases and you can't control their behavior.
As long it ain't sliming up your good

Agreed, it’s a wonderful world of corals!! To the most part all are healthy and happy.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second that they can an will close up from time to time. When they all close up and stay that way, it's time to see if something is out of wack. Test your water and check your equipment.

No issues with any corals!! Today it’s back to puffed up. I agree with you comments. Happened once when I over dosed Mag!!! Had to go thru 4 30% w/c....

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. These guys will close up if they caught something floating in the water to eat. Maybe a fish bumped them, or a tentacle from another coral. Still looks good. Keep an eye out for truly closing up.

I just had a torch manage to come through my silicon oops in a 6g and it is finally showing signs of getting better. It has had short tentacles and they are finally lengthening and it is healing nicely. Thank goodness. They can take a lot if healthy environment is there.

Clowns may be checking it out. Never know. Maybe one day my percs will find the many euphyllias I have and try to find a nice shelter. Instead of my overflow pvc.

Gotcha @DeniseAndy.

Will look for those clowns. I really want them to find a home!!

Here is how it looks today
dcdfc7cc9f25d98aefc1552b9eff557f.jpg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like mystery not solved.it's anyones guess why this happens at all.corals will be corals.one day ya think somethings wrong and ya worry.the next day everything is fine and ya wonder why you worried so much.you probably said that to your self today.
one coral doing something different is not usually a canary in the mine so to speak.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed and understood @Reefer40b and @mike werner

It’s a love hate relationship... Hate that they make me worry about every small change!! But I Love corals... I should get a degree in coral life...

Thank you for the insight.. it’s a never ending mystery!!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check at night if something else is bothering it. Does any other coral around the deflated head has sweeper tentacle ?

I know corals do closed up time to time, sometime it’s benign. But I have come to believe it’s nevet without reason. From hermit nipping at my corals at night, to sweeper tentacles of bothering neighbors to zoa spiders, I have found a reason to almost all the occasions of this happening except a few. This might be benign but do double check for unusual things at unusual times

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back