What screws to use for custom stand?

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if these screws would be sufficient for building my new aquarium stand for my 25g acrylic corner tank. (Pic of screws below) It also says not to used with untreated cedar on the back because it can cause a chemical reaction with the wood. If these won’t work what’s a type of screw I can use? Going to use 2x4 hemlock fir studs for the building material. I don’t have much experience with woodworking and can’t find much online related to using these screws and this wood. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it! Pic below of the stand I’m trying to replicate. If you have any other tips I would greatly appreciate it.
FAB080EF-D84A-4AC4-A9D8-02CE7CD11798.jpeg
80BB4CDC-6EA9-4E2E-A374-0CF2B3EB0F0B.jpeg

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stand good job! I would say you can use them if properly sealed painted etc. I used stainless steel just because did not want them to rust and corode if water got to them if I didn’t properly seal or paint. Just didn’t want to think about fixing years down the road.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if these screws would be sufficient for building my new aquarium stand for my 25g acrylic corner tank. (Pic of screws below) It also says not to used with untreated cedar on the back because it can cause a chemical reaction with the wood. If these won’t work what’s a type of screw I can use? Going to use 2x4 hemlock fir studs for the building material. I don’t have much experience with woodworking and can’t find much online related to using these screws and this wood. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it! Pic below of the stand I’m trying to replicate. If you have any other tips I would greatly appreciate it.
FAB080EF-D84A-4AC4-A9D8-02CE7CD11798.jpeg
80BB4CDC-6EA9-4E2E-A374-0CF2B3EB0F0B.jpeg
I’ve had really good results with #8 exterior decking screws like the ones below. I build all my stands with them. #9 is just too beefy and difficult to drive in. Make sure you get screws that are not to short or too long. You wanna get a 1/2”-1” bite into the wood. Obviously if you’re screwing into something where you’re not worried about the screw coming out the other side you can go deeper like 2” or so.

ED079B06-2C10-4E12-8A2C-7778A9E12F39.jpeg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they say not to use them with cedar....and you arent using cedar, you're using regular spruce/fir/pine....so no problem....more rust resistant would be epoxy coated (the ones that come in various shades of tan or green) or stainless steel (weaker but even more rust resistant)...anything with a square or torx drive is easier to install without stripping out the head than a phillips

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back