OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nobody else is still awake to give alternate advice... I would remove her from the prazi and give her a bath in methelyne blue if you have any, it has saved my blue tang a few times now (completly different scenario but MB is listed as a first response besides the salvage protocol I shared) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/
thanks, I dont have any of that medication on hand, but I do have a frag tank I can move her to. Would that be best or just a water change in her qt?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I dont have any of that medication on hand, but I do have a frag tank I can move her to. Would that be best or just a water change in her qt?
With my recent experience I would leave her in qt and do a large water change and drop the salinity to about 1.017, the salinity drop can be done right away but be very careful about temp

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is supposed to have a pretty short half life. That's why we have to do the second dose in 5 to 6 days. When was she last in Prazi?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is supposed to have a pretty short half life. That's why we have to do the second dose in 5 to 6 days. When was she last in Prazi?
From what I've read of Humble's posts it can stay active for up to 72 hours but wrasses should have a water change and carbon in the tank after 24 hours

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the prazi, but the prazi won’t treat flagellates if that is what is causing the spinal injury. You’ll need a medication containing metronidazole, and ideally... the wrasse should eat it.

If it’s not flagellates, then it is likely the wrasse darted into something and physically injured the spine. In that case, there’s not much you can do but wait and see if it resolves with time and low-stress.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the prazi, but the prazi won’t treat flagellates if that is what is causing the spinal injury. You’ll need a medication containing metronidazole, and ideally... the wrasse should eat it.

If it’s not flagellates, then it is likely the wrasse darted into something and physically injured the spine. In that case, there’s not much you can do but wait and see if it resolves with time and low-stress.
I wasn't sure what was going on but you guys all went to bed and I figured the prazi couldn't be helping. Hopefully I gave him some good advice from the salvage protocol

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she was in Prazi before I did WC last night. before that, two weeks

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank you. ordering metronidazole now

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure what was going on but you guys all went to bed and I figured the prazi couldn't be helping. Hopefully I gave him some good advice from the salvage protocol

You did fine! Usually if a fish is going to have a negative reaction to prazi, it’s pretty instantaneous. It’s most active in the water for the first 24-48 hours, after that there could still be some residuals, but it’s not the same as the first day it was dosed.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: wrasse is still behaving the same. I dropped the salinity to 1.017 and the temp to 72. Did 50% WC last night and just have moonlights on now. I ordered a three pack of Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Focus, just so I will have more meds on hand. also ordered the sachem garlic supplement to hopefully encourage her to eat. All meds will be in Wednesday, hopefully she will hold out until then. going to try to feed her medicated brine shrimp through a pipette until then. any tips on getting her/forcing her to eat @ngoodermuth @HotRocks ? I know wrasses have to eat often, so it makes me really worried that she's going this long without eating

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back