What Should I Do With Dying Wrasse???

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a golden rhomboid wrasse that has either a spinal injury, a neurological injury, or swim bladder disease. she is limp and just floating around in the current of the water. Her color still looks good, but she is not eating and not moving much. I have tried everything I can think of: freshwater dip, Neoplex, Prazipro, and epsom salt. So should I try needling her swim bladder or should I put her out of her misery???

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6217.JPG

temp at 74, currently dropping to 72. I will put her in hypo this week.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop the temp slowly so you don't shock her. Is she breathing rapidly? I'm not one of the experts but I'll try to help until one gets here
thank you. I wouldn't say heavily, but slightly more than normal. although, I suspect this is due to the fact that she is immobile and cant let water flow though her gills during swimming. I have been trying to pipette feed her and hold her in my hand, but she spits it out. her anus looks slightly red, could it be constipation? when I touch her, she will dart forward and swim fine, then she goes belly up and just floats around.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. I wouldn't say heavily, but slightly more than normal. although, I suspect this is due to the fact that she is immobile and cant let water flow though her gills during swimming. I have been trying to pipette feed her and hold her in my hand, but she spits it out. her anus looks slightly red, could it be constipation? when I touch her, she will dart forward and swim fine, then she goes belly up and just floats around.
How long have you had her, is there any ammonia in the tank (looks like she in qt?) how long had she been like this, and how long was she in prazi?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put the fish out yet. They rarely come back from this. However I would give it every last fighting chance it has.

Low flow, low light, low stress. Let the fish rest as much as possible. Acclimation box is a good idea as well. This happens with fairy wrasses. We have been seeing flagellates in the spinal column as one of the causes. These weaken the spine to the point it comes down to this same behavior. It may not end well. Best of luck, beautiful fish.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have metronidazole (metroplex, metro+, General cure)?

It could be an advanced case of internal flagellates... ideally you need to get her eating medicated food, but if she’s not eating you can try to dose the water and see if that helps.

Even if you can get her eating, when it gets this far recovery rates are not so great... but it’s worth a shot!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had her, is there any ammonia in the tank (looks like she in qt?) how long had she been like this, and how long was she in prazi?
no ammonia in the tank, testing again in the morning. I have had her for about three weeks. this just happened within 48 hours. she has been like this for almost 5 days now. she went through two rounds of praziquantel before this. she is now in round 3

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put the fish out yet. They rarely come back from this. However I would give it every last fighting chance it has.

Low flow, low light, low stress. Let the fish rest as much as possible. Acclimation box is a good idea as well. This happens with fairy wrasses. We have been seeing flagellates in the spinal column as one of the causes. These weaken the spine to the point it comes down to this same behavior. It may not end well. Best of luck, beautiful fish.

thank you. I had her in a small bowl with netting over the top, would you recommend putting her back in that? thats the closest thing I have to an acclimation box.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have metronidazole (metroplex, metro+, General cure)?

It could be an advanced case of internal flagellates... ideally you need to get her eating medicated food, but if she’s not eating you can try to dose the water and see if that helps.

Even if you can get her eating, when it gets this far recovery rates are not so great... but it’s worth a shot!

I do not have it, but I can get some next week, although it maybe too late then. would flagellates set on this quick? (within 48 hours?)

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth @HotRocks could this be an adverse reaction to prazi?(again, I'm no expert but an avid reader and I'm also trying to learn as much as I can here )
not saying its not possible, but she was fine after being in prazi for two weeks, then this happened in DT

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not saying its not possible, but she was fine after being in prazi for two weeks, then this happened in DT
Humble's posts specifically state that wrasses are sensitive to prazi and shouldn't be exposed for more than 24hrs each treatment. Still could be something else so please don't take my advice as gospel

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry you are going through this. I hope you give it a fighting chance. If you feel it is suffering and only you know when it is time, one of the ways to humanly end its suffering is placing it in a plastic bag and placing it into the freezer to go to sleep.

I hope it pulls through, this is only a last resort if all is lost.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I never knew that! thank you! should I do a water change then to remove it from her qt? should I remove all meds? and would it come on all of a sudden like this if that is what happened?
If nobody else is still awake to give alternate advice... I would remove her from the prazi and give her a bath in methelyne blue if you have any, it has saved my blue tang a few times now (completly different scenario but MB is listed as a first response besides the salvage protocol I shared) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back