What skimmer would you use in Trigger System Sump?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Jolene1011, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Jolene1011

Jolene1011 Member

I would like to make some changes to my skimmer in my sump. I currently have a Trigger Systems Sapphire 39 on a 220gal tank. I am preparing to try out the Triton Method. I would LOVE to buy the new Triton 44 Trigger but since I've had this sump less than a year I can't quite justify it. So to make the best of my current equipment, I am going to move my skimmer back to the the current refugium section which is 10.5 x 15.5. The problem is that my current skimmer is Reef Octopus that is too large to move to that section. It takes up the 14 x 15.5 section of the sump with minimal clearance. So that being said, what would everyone recommend for internal skimmer? I haven't had any issues with my Reef Octopus in the 4 years I've had it, but am open to other brands. Thanks for any suggestions. sump.jpg

2. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I love my TUNZE 9410, but you'd need to decide if it is big enough for your reef. It's rated for 317 gallons.

The AquaMaxx FC-280 looks like it might be a good fit for your system. It's rated for up to 420 Gallons (light bioload) or 240 Gallons (heavy bioload) and would fit in the dimensions you listed.

3. Jolene1011

Jolene1011 Member

Thank you for your reply :)

mdbannister likes this.
  4. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

No problem. Hope you find something that works for you. Be sure to let us know what you end up using.

5. RobertP

RobertP Active Member

I run a Lifereef skimmer in my Trigger 34 Emerald. This is an older pic so have since upgraded to a Kessil grow light and many other changes in the cabinet but the Lifereef keeps plugging away. lifereef.jpg

JoshH likes this.
  6. Jolene1011

Jolene1011 Member

I am liking the AquaMaxx you suggested. Marine Depot currently doesn't have it in stock but that gives me time to make sure I'm not just excited and making a rash decision when I see something new for my tank as I am prone to do ;Facepalm

mdbannister likes this.
  7. joec

joec Active Member

There are a fair amount of complaints of expensive impeller replacements and frequent proprietary pump replacements on previous Aquamaxx models in online forums....just an FYI

8. Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii Active Member

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering the same thing! And I came across the aquamaxx and figured that would be the best for the size of the skimmer section in the trigger triton

9. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

I have Triton 44 sump with octopus 202s barely fits but will see how it works out still setting tank up 180 you have to really finegal it to get it in but it fits?

Erick Armanii likes this.
  10. Erick Armanii

11. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

IMG_20180202_174411505.jpg

12. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

I still have to plumb every thing and set it up but the skimmer fits. IMG_20180125_201939383.jpg

Franknreef likes this.
  13. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Any of the skimmers that have the pumps encased in the body should work (like the NYOS skimmer). I did use both a Reef Octopus and a NYOS in my Crystal Trigger Systems sump before upgrading to a bigger sump.

14. Erick Armanii

15. Erick Armanii

The triton sump has a bigger fuge which results in a smaller than traditional skimmer section so most heavily stocked systems are running oversized skimmers. So the footprint and performance I’m looking for has been difficult to find.

Triton 44 sump skimmer section:
    9.5” x 15.5”

Most skimmers rated for heavy stock tanks 150 and above have a bigger footprint.

16. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

Yes barely fit but seems to be good

17. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

But this skimmer is for heavy loaded 180 so that's why I made this work

18. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have the Trigger Triton 44 as well and run the Lifereef VS-2 24" skimmer with a Waveline DC 10000 II pump. Running on a 150g display, no complaints.

JoshH likes this.
  19. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

[​IMG]

I have a RO 110sss for my trigger 20c. I'm testing all the plumbing right now before I swap out sumps this weekend.

Len

20. Jimmy Jarmin

Jimmy Jarmin Member

IMG_20180210_125113575.jpg IMG_20180210_125113575.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted