Whats killing my fish

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a bacterial bloom, the skimmer would have dealt with that pretty quickly. Your tank is going anoxic. It is a cascade and you likely won't be able to stop it. You should move your creatures like you are thinking and move some sand or rock over to help with the biology. If you have Fritz or whatever bacteria in a bottle put that in the tank you move it to.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a bacterial bloom, the skimmer would have dealt with that pretty quickly. Your tank is going anoxic. It is a cascade and you likely won't be able to stop it. You should move your creatures like you are thinking and move some sand or rock over to help with the biology. If you have Fritz or whatever bacteria in a bottle put that in the tank you move it to.
If I them over to the QT would you bother acclimating at all if it’s the same PH, salt used, salinity, and temp?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I them over to the QT would you bother acclimating at all if it’s the same PH, salt used, salinity, and temp?
No, just get them all out and do it now. Make sure you have some sort of biological filter so you don't get ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Do big water changes on your DT.

Sorry this happened. :(

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually
Doesn’t sound like carbon dosing since you aren’t quite sure what that means, Im guessing you just added activated carbon and GFO to a reactor.

Anybody had issues with not rinsing GFO properly before adding it?

Otherwise maybe this isn’t even related to adding the reactor and it is something else completely like a contaminant.
Agreed that putting things in fresh QT water would be better than leaving them until you can figure out what happened.

Anybody spray anything around the tank? Check for anything that fell into the tank or was put in the tank? Do you have kids that could have dumped something in it? Just brainstorming....
Yeah after reading I think your right for some reason I thought Carbon ROX 0.8 was an additive not just activated carbon.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just get them all out and do it now. Make sure you have some sort of biological filter so you don't get ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Do big water changes on your DT.

Sorry this happened. :(
Well all are in there including some of my zoas that’s not glued, toadstools, and finger leather. I put biosphere in there had some on hand and moved alittle extra rock over for more places to get away from one another. Just watching the kole tang don’t see it making it through the night.
2D2C6457-90B7-4012-B061-2A788CA104BE.jpeg
CC51EB9A-212E-4436-8973-A5790E64B6FB.jpeg

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all are in there including some of my zoas that’s not glued, toadstools, and finger leather. I put biosphere in there had some on hand and moved alittle extra rock over for more places to get away from one another. Just watching the kole tang don’t see it making it through the night.
Someone else please jump in and tell me I’m wrong if I am. But you need much more surface movement to oxygenated the water.. id put a pump at the surface to get max surface agitation

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same but ph is normal 8.2 and alk is normal 9dkh, I did add the air stones not sure this has helped but clowns are holding on. Several dead snails and my blue tuxedo urchin died too today. All my huge leather coral are still shriveled up and starting to deteriorate like their shedding. All zoas are still closed. I’m unsure what has happened but I feel like it’s not turned for the good yet.
Yes at this point in time but at the moment everything went wrong what happened to your ph? You will never know

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else please jump in and tell me I’m wrong if I am. But you need much more surface movement to oxygenated the water.. id put a pump at the surface to get max surface agitation
Ok pump has been moved up. To help with oxygen, plus drop a small air stone in too. Now the question where do I go from here? How do I get my main tank back into order? I destroyed my rocks ape to get the coral beauty out so release a lot of toxins that way too. What ever went wrong with my tank how long do I last before going back in and how to get to that point?

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok pump has been moved up. To help with oxygen, plus drop a small air stone in too. Now the question where do I go from here? How do I get my main tank back into order? I destroyed my rocks ape to get the coral beauty out so release a lot of toxins that way too. What ever went wrong with my tank how long do I last before going back in and how to get to that point?
Well just to start. An air stone doesn’t do anything to oxygenate the water. It creates surface movement that helps. But all the air just flies to the surface and gets released into the air. Now about your tank go ahead and do a 75% water change.. but fix your dock first. With minimal inhabitants in it. That’s safe to do and should put plenty of oxygenated water back into the tank. And then it’ll remove 75% of anything you released destroying your rock work. Then let your fish recover. Once they have then move them back. And one thing you can do is take like 25% of water from the tank they are in.. and hear me out veeeeerrrry slowly. Drip ro water until the salinity reaches 1.017. Ik it sounds crazy. But their bodies won’t have to work so hard to breathe. Just make sure you don’t do that with corals in there. Once the water change is done in the display you can put corals back. Only leave them in that low salinity water for 3 days max

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just to start. An air stone doesn’t do anything to oxygenate the water. It creates surface movement that helps. But all the air just flies to the surface and gets released into the air. Now about your tank go ahead and do a 75% water change.. but fix your dock first. With minimal inhabitants in it. That’s safe to do and should put plenty of oxygenated water back into the tank. And then it’ll remove 75% of anything you released destroying your rock work. Then let your fish recover. Once they have then move them back. And one thing you can do is take like 25% of water from the tank they are in.. and hear me out veeeeerrrry slowly. Drip ro water until the salinity reaches 1.017. Ik it sounds crazy. But their bodies won’t have to work so hard to breathe. Just make sure you don’t do that with corals in there. Once the water change is done in the display you can put corals back. Only leave them in that low salinity water for 3 days max
Also if anyone with more experience than me thinks that’s a bad idea. Please say something.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the information much needed. So I have racked my brain reading forums trying to figure what went wrong. With all the excitement of adding a dual reactor and thinking it was the cause of all this I feel I have found it out the true issue. So during the same time of adding this reactor I fixed my filter sock holder in my sump 3 days before that needed to be re silicone from a bad job earlier in the year. The silicone had cured in the past 3 days and I just slid it back in to the sump not thinking this could be the issue but now I know! I have silicone many times and never had an issue. I used GE 100% silicone but the difference was it was 2 not 1 on the label. Not knowing until now it seems 2 has mold resistant chemicals and has poisoned my tank. So where do I go? Obviously strip this out front he sump put the right stuff in, but do I need to drain the whole tank and clean with vinegar? Will a 100%. water change and carbon eliminate these chemicals that have circulated in my tank for 3 days?

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the information much needed. So I have racked my brain reading forums trying to figure what went wrong. With all the excitement of adding a dual reactor and thinking it was the cause of all this I feel I have found it out the true issue. So during the same time of adding this reactor I fixed my filter sock holder in my sump 3 days before that needed to be re silicone from a bad job earlier in the year. The silicone had cured in the past 3 days and I just slid it back in to the sump not thinking this could be the issue but now I know! I have silicone many times and never had an issue. I used GE 100% silicone but the difference was it was 2 not 1 on the label. Not knowing until now it seems 2 has mold resistant chemicals and has poisoned my tank. So where do I go? Obviously strip this out front he sump put the right stuff in, but do I need to drain the whole tank and clean with vinegar? Will a 100%. water change and carbon eliminate these chemicals that have circulated in my tank for 3 days?
Wow okay. Yes 100% don’t clean with vinegar. But use a bunch of activated carbon after the change and you should be just fine.

But hey, I just wanted to say. Everyone of us have made mistakes in this hobby, we’ve all lost fish. Lost corals. But that is how we learn. And in turn flourish in this hobby. Don’t let this mistake make you want to quit. Use it and push yourself to succeed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow okay. Yes 100% don’t clean with vinegar. But use a bunch of activated carbon after the change and you should be just fine.

But hey, I just wanted to say. Everyone of us have made mistakes in this hobby, we’ve all lost fish. Lost corals. But that is how we learn. And in turn flourish in this hobby. Don’t let this mistake make you want to quit. Use it and push yourself to be to succeed!

Ok thanks, my wife will tell you I definitely wanted to throw in the towel this week. This is my first and imo a huge loss. I do understand that's part of the journey in this hobby but wow it sucks to lose so much. But lesson learned, slow down make sure everything is correct before moving forward when adding new items and take it slow. So moving forward massive water changes run lots of carbon, how long before moving stuff back over? And could this be stuck on the rocks/or in the sand, should I lightly brush them since I have to re-scape or will the massive water changes lots of flow take care of it?

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, my wife will tell you I definitely wanted to throw in the towel this week. This is my first and imo a huge loss. I do understand that's part of the journey in this hobby but wow it sucks to lose so much. But lesson learned, slow down make sure everything is correct before moving forward when adding new items and take it slow. So moving forward massive water changes run lots of carbon, how long before moving stuff back over? And could this be stuck on the rocks/or in the sand, should I lightly brush them since I have to re-scape or will the massive water changes lots of flow take care of it?
It may have seeped into the rocks... but with a large amount of carbon and a 100% water change.. it should pull it out.. to be sure I’d give it a couple days to let the carbon so it’s work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s a lot of GFO. I use. Teaspoon per 80 gallons
GFO has taken down coral in the past for me. Strong oxide

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older reefers (older people in general) get the reputation for being sticks in the mud and rigid. This is the reason why. Making mistakes like this makes us careful and slow. We build protocols that minimize this type of thing.

I am glad you found the reason. There is at least some solace in that. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back