Whats this ? Sea slug/ cucumber ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just found 3 of these sea slug/ cucumber/nudi looking things.
Hasn't got the frilly Gill things that nudis have on their back so probably rules that out.
It's on a gsp that just bought and camouflage quite good same colour as top of gsp frag like browny/ white,2 are very small like 8-12 mm long and other one looks like got spines on it and little longer

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here one of the smaller ones and got one more youtube video loading so have that shortly.
Also on base of gsp is blue tubular things,like 20 mm long and I'm guessing some kind of sponge or tunicate maybe so any clues on that be appreciated.
@Mibu
@vetteguy53081
@WheatToast
Any ideas

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be Bunny slug (actual name)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you a still picture of it, you can try searching the photo with Google Lens and see if it pops up photos of the same or similar species, but chances are high you won't be able to get a positive ID on it.

It most likely is a nudibranch (not all of them have the cerata - the frilly gill things you mentioned - though the ones from the Cladobranchia group do), but there are so many species of nudibranch, and the group as a whole is so poorly studied (likely because they're of little to no commercial value) that unless you're very lucky or have one of the more common/well-known species, you won't be able to get an ID.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks all for replys.
I was thinking at time that old saying " if in doubt throw it out" just because didn't know what it was or detrimental to tank or possibility of it being so.
Other youtube video not finished uploading yet,but got 3 of them on that video,hopefully they stay on the gsp frag and see if can just get it out to be on safe side like should of done at first lol.
Was in a rush to get out house so dipped all corals and threw them in tank pffft ( and goes to show the " nt coral labs " dip I got not worth a carrot,I know not all dips kill the pests/ bugs on the corals but can make them loose the grip so can share them off easier but seems like this dip I got can't even make a ampripod go hazy and lose grip as after 10 minutes pod walking about on coral in the dip like nothing happenned lol

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you a still picture of it, you can try searching the photo with Google Lens and see if it pops up photos of the same or similar species, but chances are high you won't be able to get a positive ID on it.

It most likely is a nudibranch (not all of them have the cerata - the frilly gill things you mentioned - though the ones from the Cladobranchia group do), but there are so many species of nudibranch, and the group as a whole is so poorly studied (likely because they're of little to no commercial value) that unless you're very lucky or have one of the more common/well-known species, you won't be able to get an ID.
Never heard of Google lens but guessing enter a picture into their data base and if possibly match then it tells you, will give it a look thanks

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well last video uploaded so share anyway.
Just pulled this gsp frag out and spent 30 minutes or so and pulled 5 of these sea slug things off and possibly a 6th dead one.
They look similar to what vetteguy said if bunny sea slug but not got the bunny ears,( just points) but these small so maybe would get later idk
Just hope when my cbb poking around earlier and his snout went into the gsp crevice and seemed like it got something, hopefully he didn't eat one if they toxic, guess will find out later hey.
Ok thanks again for all replys.
I need to learn better if I don't know for certain what something is then bin it ^_^ and not take risk as even though these are quite slow they could be in my sand or on my rocks by now,hopefully they just chilled on gsp frag if that's what it is as underside bright purple and top a very murky colour but will see if polyps come out.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long shot, Google Dermatobranchus albus and open Images tab. Lots of color variations that might match on this one.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long shot, Google Dermatobranchus albus and open Images tab. Lots of color variations that might match on this one.
Thanks for reply,sorry for late reply,been away for easter weekend, just googled name you said and very close match,couldn't find any of colour ones I had,but as you said lots of colour variations.
I removed all the ones I could find on the gsp frag ( after a few hours in tank) but one thing I know for sure,the amount of different species of all different kinds of micro/macro fauna in our tanks astounds me,find it extremely interesting and probably get more enjoyment out of them ,than the fish/ corals ha ha
Maybe I should of done a macro algae dominated tank with one or 2 fish or no fish ha ha

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha sea bunny , I had one that lived in GSP. I also threw it away because it stayed in the GSP only making me think it was eating it idk

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha sea bunny , I had one that lived in GSP. I also threw it away because it stayed in the GSP only making me think it was eating it idk
Yeah that was my thought and my worry that even after few hours In tank they out and about gliding across my gsp,think I got either 4 or 5 off,but who knows maybe there was 20 of them on the gsp and 15 roaming around my tank now lol
And even though all my fish out and about cruising around the tank,these little sea slug/ nudi's wasn't shy or scared ,they on top of the closed up gsp in plain view,but also read some can be extremely toxic ( usually from what they eat, like sponges and stuff) so if are toxic and fish know this then they can glide around tank as they please ^_^

Interesting little dudes for sure

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still going with Dermatobranchus albus and here's why. Sea Bunnies (Jorunna parva) have exterior gill branchia on the tail end of their backs. I don't see that in the videos. Could you please take a still and focused picture under white light for identification purposes?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
likely this, eats sponges
Removed 5 or 6 when got it,all bout same size,then week later another 7,then 1-2 every few days so probably around 25 removed so far in the 3.5 weeks I've had the gsp,when I'm seeing these it's after lights out and they on top of the gsp and not underneath where the sponges are and would be,there was some blue tubular sponges/ tunicate things underneath gsp when got but removed them also.
If I knew they just are sponges then would leave them be but as unsure and keep finding them on top the gsp mat ( which isn't deep purple like the underside and isn't bright white variety gsp mat) so I don't know if eating the actual mat and that's why not deep purple or stressing the coral that much its lightened or what idk,after 2 weeks of gsp been fully open,this last week it remained completely shut but me taking it in and out to remove these slugs could be part of reason.
Not found any for 3- 4 days now but last few times I've found some,some was miniscule,thought was grain of sand at first till zoomed in on phone,but only seeing them on gsp and nowhere else in tank,so hopefully they only eat gsp so they contained on it so easily removed I guess

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still going with Dermatobranchus albus and here's why. Sea Bunnies (Jorunna parva) have exterior gill branchia on the tail end of their backs. I don't see that in the videos. Could you please take a still and focused picture under white light for identification purposes?
Not found Amy for 3- 4 days,but will look to see if any photos saved or if not will take picture next time find one no problem

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok took few screenshots from videos I had as thought youtive video take longer to upload than did as found a really good video where one if them is on edge if gsp and can see from side.
First video is of gsp spawning after 1 week in tank,was at this point taking 3- 4 these slugs off every few days and one of screenshots/ videos is either snail eggs or eggs from these slugs ( got nassarious, trouchus,1 conch added same time as gsp and possibly one astrea added same time as gsp.

Screenshot_20220504-212529_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220504-212946_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-212951_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-213031_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-213505_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-213635_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-213644_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220504-213709_Gallery.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same ones I found on my GSP but they aren’t the GSP eating nudis which are purple with yelllow tips (which I also had lol )

Attachments

• 50C6CECB-82A1-4D6F-BBD4-A31119AB6983.jpeg
    50C6CECB-82A1-4D6F-BBD4-A31119AB6983.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 32

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back