What's wrong with my Toadstool?

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this toadstool coral for about over a year now and it recently has recently closed more often than usual and I started to notice some white blotches on top of my toadstool. It started to happen after I did my water change and did some sand cleanup. My other corals are okay and seem normal. It's been acting strange and not normal for the past week. Any ideas? You can see the white blotches near the top right and bottom left, also the white blotches do not bulge out as it appears in the picture.
IMG_0771.JPG

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as @Jose Esteves indicated it's likely just shedding. Mine shed recently and it took about a week for it to completely shed and go back to normal. If you can see any thin shiny layers that look like they are peeling off the surface of the coral, that's a good indicator that it's shedding.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have it for a year, I bet you already know it’s cycle of shedding etc. My guess is it may got irritated when you vacuum the sand or something.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has shed a skin about three times in a year. It freaks you out at first making you think something's wrong. Then a week or two later it's all happy and fully extended

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, my toadstool is now back to normal; It stayed closed for quite some time, more than its usual shedding period that I've seen but I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back