When to add skimmer?

JKAG10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st post here and won't be my last based off of all the different opinions and information available.

The question that has me the most puzzled today is when should you add a skimmer?

I've got a 90g tank thats been running for about a month. 80lbs of life rock, 40lbs of live sand and a pair of clowns.

I was told by a lfs to add bio-spira and add a skimmer in a few months. Apparently the skimmer may skim away the bacteria I've added to establish the tank. Makes sense!

However, the more I read it sounds like I may want a skimmer day 1. Outside of a sock, 2 different filter pads and some charcoal in a bag am I really providing enough filtration? Also could make sense!

Am I on the right path or am I a month late on a skimmer purchase? Thanks for the help and the great content!

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s never too late to add a skimmer. Some tanks run without them but that’s a minority of the cases. Throw it on. I used mine from day one. It cycled just fine. It’s not too late by my means. You’ll probably notice it working right away.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fam!
You don’t need a skimmer to be successful and many amazing tanks don’t run skimmers.

At this point your tank is still young. Let the bacteria populate the rock and keep your lights off and get into the habit of doing weekly water changes.

As you progress and accumulate more fish, your phosphate and nitrates will rise beyond weekly water changes and at this point I would add a skimmer or refugium. There’s no right or wrong answer to this. That’s just my opinion.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a skimmer on the tank the first day; skimmers take time to start really working well in tanks, so better to get it in there early so as to dial it into your system over time.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t planning to add any sps, expecially acropora, or not increasing the bio load too much, I don’t think you need one.

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating getting a skimmer since I first built my stand and setup the tank. It's a 100G with 20G sump. Since I usually do 20-25% water changes every 2 weeks and am able to export algae from the refugium I've been putting off this purchase. Now that the tank is over 7 months old I'm thinking I can just do without.

Any others running a system without a skimmer with good results? What is your maintenance like?

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a skimmer. Anything to reduce effort in this hobby will increase the success rates 10 fold. I ran without a skimmer for years and was successful but introducing a skimmer increased my success.

OP
OP
J

JKAG10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Reef Octopus Classic 150INT will be making its way to a basket soon.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My excuse to feed more is because I have a skimmer ;Joyful . I got mine maybe 6 months into the tank when I noticed nitrates getting higher. Definitely do not regret getting one!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Skimmers have way more benefits then just skimming waste out of the water.

I have always added a skimmer on day one. They do take a bit to "break in", so starting early gets them "broke in" by time the tank is cycled and you start adding livestock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When waste is being produced in the tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back