Where does my water go?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just confirmed that the water is not going into the overflow. I pulled the supply line from the ATO pump and turned off the return pump and got no water from the sump.
Whats the longest you've let the system run with your ATO sensor lowered and not getting a high level alarm?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I has to be that the pump is pushing water faster than it can flow back to the sump. Since it does not look like the OP is using a DC pump where you can vary the voltage, they could put a valve on the return line to adjust flow and see if it makes a difference.

But why only pushing it up to the display faster right after we turn the pumps back on? I’ll play with my valves and see what I come up with. I’m certain that slightly closing the return line valves will stop it, but I’ll find out for sure when I get home from work.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 12 hours or so. It will go from my nightly feeding until my morning feeding without alarming
After you shut it down again at the lower level, does it get even lower the next time you shut it off?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only got one theory left.... one or both of your overflows is very slowly dropping over the course of the day. Some symptoms are being masked because evaporation is occurring at a very similar rate that the water in the overflow is dropping at.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL, that makes two of us. My plan is to power everything down and watch the ATO and see if there is any back siphon. I'd agree that is shouldn't take 15 minutes to stabilize but it was just part of my troubleshooting process.

I dont know if you saw my post - but if the level in the sump is lower than when you started - then the level in the display tank has to be higher then when it started. It is either too much flow for your overflow - or there is a blockage somewhere in your overflow. One way to help fix this is to lower your feeding time. i.e. if the problem is the overflow - it will also be slow draining into the sump - thus won't be as much of a problem when you restart - because the level in your tank will end up higher.

BTW - a picture of your sump before feeding time, during feeding time and after feeding time might be helpful - as well as a picture of your tank (display) before and during and after feeding.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get an air bubble in your drain that takes longer to clear and the drain runs slightly slower until it does.
A 1/4 inch more water in the DT can be 4 inches in the return section of the sump.

OP
OP
D

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if you saw my post - but if the level in the sump is lower than when you started - then the level in the display tank has to be higher then when it started. It is either too much flow for your overflow - or there is a blockage somewhere in your overflow. One way to help fix this is to lower your feeding time. i.e. if the problem is the overflow - it will also be slow draining into the sump - thus won't be as much of a problem when you restart - because the level in your tank will end up higher.

BTW - a picture of your sump before feeding time, during feeding time and after feeding time might be helpful - as well as a picture of your tank (display) before and during and after feeding.

I did see your post and i would agree, the water is somewhere. What is considered slow draining? When I power down, the overflows empty to the level of the siphon drain in a matter of seconds. My overflows will most certainly out drain what my return is supplying. The gate valves on the full siphon drains are more closed than open. If i were to fully open the valves i doubt it would have enough in the overflow to create a siphon. Or perhaps I am mistaken.

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the speed of the supply to the DT that changes. It's the speed of the return to the sump. A siphon pulls more water than without a siphon.

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get an air bubble in your drain that takes longer to clear and the drain runs slightly slower until it does.
A 1/4 inch more water in the DT can be 4 inches in the return section of the sump.
This is exactly your problem. I have the same issue in my freshwater tank. Once the water in your tank gets enough pressure behind it which is the 4" drop in your return, it forces the bubble out or has enough flow to make the bubble break up until it's gone.

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old setup had an overflow in the tank connected to a basement sump. The return line, at some point had a slight rise trapping a bubble. When the tank was restarted, the water drained, but at a slower rate. Eventually enough water pressure was behind the siphon too push out the bubble, and the water drained to the sump faster. Drove me crazy because I couldn't figure out how to get the drain quite. I reran the line without the rise and my drain speed issue went away.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need pictures! One more question. How far below water level of the sump is the return pipe? If it is too far down it could be harder to get rid of an air bubble and messing with your siphon when restarting.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am actually I'm running a VarioS-6 pump. But after time if my return was out-flowing my drains wouldn't i start taking more water into the emergency drains, as well as suck the return chamber dry. The level is consistent until i shut everything off.

Yes - assuming they are also not having a problem. Also - when this happens to me - it is when the weir on the overflow is plugged.

OP
OP
D

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update, I think i have gotten this sorted out. When i first set up the plumbing i did not glue the drain lines into the bulkheads in my sump, i thought i would leave them loose to make disassembly/cleaning easier. The full siphon lines would suck air at the sump bulkheads and i believe this contributed to the water level fluctuation and at the very least it made the water level in the overflow change throughout the day. I sealed up the joints at the sump and am now able to dial in the overflow water level and it stays there.

Also, i have gotten more diligent on cleaning out my filter socks. The socks would balloon out like they were restricting flow. I think the variation of flow in my return lines in addition to filter socks slowing down the return rate were what was causing the water level to drop.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bit of an update, I think i have gotten this sorted out. When i first set up the plumbing i did not glue the drain lines into the bulkheads in my sump, i thought i would leave them loose to make disassembly/cleaning easier. The full siphon lines would suck air at the sump bulkheads and i believe this contributed to the water level fluctuation and at the very least it made the water level in the overflow change throughout the day. I sealed up the joints at the sump and am now able to dial in the overflow water level and it stays there.

Also, i have gotten more diligent on cleaning out my filter socks. The socks would balloon out like they were restricting flow. I think the variation of flow in my return lines in addition to filter socks slowing down the return rate were what was causing the water level to drop.
BUT WHERE DID THE WATER GO LOL:). And BTW - I am not sure you need to glue them? I'm glad though that you figured it out. :)

OP
OP
D

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT WHERE DID THE WATER GO LOL:). And BTW - I am not sure you need to glue them? I'm glad though that you figured it out. :)

LOL. It was in the tank. I just used some silicone on the joints as i didn't want to glue them, i just wanted them sealed

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture lol? My drain line is loose in my sump, I really don’t think that’s your problem.

Back