Where's your Mg at?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per title. I read that elevated Mg levels (not too high) can indirectly support coral growth (especially stony corals) as it helps prevent abiotic precipitation of calcium and carbonate and thus promotes better biotic calcium carbonate sequestration. This article in particular suggests having Mg at 1,300 to 1,400ppm: https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/47921/PDF/1/

So my question is, where are your Mg levels at, and how are your SPS growing?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. My acropora grow well. This is not flippant, but I never found it to matter much, but my salt mix has a good level at about 1320 and I have a CaRx that adds in in balance. I would probably never test it unless I dosed it independently of other things, like a 3-part system.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. My acropora grow well. This is not flippant, but I never found it to matter much, but my salt mix has a good level at about 1320 and I have a CaRx that adds in in balance. I would probably never test it unless I dosed it independently of other things, like a 3-part system.
No that's fair. I guess Mg should not be heavily consumed (if at all), so it's not as important to measure. Though I guess, follow up question. What is your calcium and dKH values? Say when you do a water change or when you are dosing or your target values, whatever is highest?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag does get consumed. You have to add it back. However, if you add it in balance, then you don't really have to test for it. I have a calcium reactor.

I keep my alk around 7.0 and calcium at 425ish. I use IO and I have to add acid to the mix to lower the alk and also use calcium chloride (driveway melt) to raise the calcium.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magnesium stays at 1400 consistently and so far I haven't had to dose any, although I've only had stony corals in this tank for about 6 months or so and most of them are frags beside a few large colonies. I'd say most of them are growing quickly but I don't really have anything to compare their growth to.

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally try to have my Mag about 3x my calcium. And I agree with JDA that Mag does get consumed. I have a Neptune Trident that tests Mag twice a day. I am not sure why, but occasionally it drops for no apparent reason. Then I dose it manually.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALk 7.0
CAl 420
MAG 1350

Mixed reef mostly SPS. I rarely add any MAG as my salt mix is fairly high(IO), and with weekly WC's, it keeps it right around 1350.

FWIW.....
We used to purposely raise MAG to over 1600 with a specific MAG product to combat bryopsis. No one ever had problems with MAG in those ranges.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Values fluctuate some but typically stay around;
dKH = 8.5
Ca = 440
Mg = 1400
Stony coral growth has been pretty good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back