Which Alk/Ca values should I believe?

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a New Years resolution to keep my tank chemistry as stable as possible to allow my corals to thrive. They are doing fine now with good growth and color and want to keep it that way. However, depending on the test kit I use I'm getting different results so not sure exactly what the 'now' state is. How do I go about deciding which is correct? Note, test kits are recently purchased new and I am following manufacturers directions. I'm currently dosing Bionic 2-part, Iron and RedSea (No3-Pox; alcohol/vinegar). Top-off is RO-DI of course. I also have Trident coming so curious what results I get from those test kits.
AlkSalifert4.8
AquaForst (AF)9.5
Hanna7.9
CalciumSalifert420
AF390
Hanna461

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right.
My Hanna, which I use every day for alk, is always within .3 of salifert.
I also use elos as a third backup and its close too.
I only use salifert for calcium as it never varies. I test it maybe every 2 months.
I do run a carx that keeps everthing stable.
I would run the test on a new madeup batch of salt and go from their.
What are the stated values of the salt you use vs testing results.

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your results for the alk on the salifert look like you are following the low res directions. If that’s the case, you should double the value, which would make it equal to your aqua forest reading. Or maybe I’m reading into it too much

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right.
My Hanna, which I use every day for alk, is always within .3 of salifert.
I also use elos as a third backup and its close too.
I only use salifert for calcium as it never varies. I test it maybe every 2 months.
I do run a carx that keeps everthing stable.
I would run the test on a new madeup batch of salt and go from their.
What are the stated values of the salt you use crap testing results.
I'm using LiveAquaria Reef Salt. So, I should mix a fresh batch of salt with RO/DI water then use all three test kits to confirm stated values right?

PS I currently dose 20 ml of Bionic 2-part (20 ml of each part) on at 25G lagoon with about 35G of total water volume to keep values stable. Take is 9 months old.

LiveAquaria Reef Salt Parameters
Salinity: 35 ppt (1.026 sg)
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using LiveAquaria Reef Salt. So, I should mix a fresh batch of salt with RO/DI water then use all three test kits to confirm stated values right?

PS I currently dose 20 ml of Bionic 2-part (20 ml of each part) to keep values stable

LiveAquaria Reef Salt Parameters
That would the best way to validate your test results.
I run esv 2 part in my frag tank.
When I got to 50ml a day in my 120 I went to a carx.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would the best way to validate your test results.
I run esv 2 part in my frag tank.
When I got to 50ml a day in my 120 I went to a carx.
I also use esv salt as it always mixes up to the same. I then have to reduce alk to get to my current level of 7.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your results for the alk on the salifert look like you are following the low res directions. If that’s the case, you should double the value, which would make it equal to your aqua forest reading. Or maybe I’m reading into it too much

Good thinking unfortunately I used full 2ml, etc. I'm mixing 4G of RO/DI then will add salt/heater/pump and run overnight then test using all three kinds of test kits again then probably throw away any results that are wildly outside the expected range from manufacturer. Liveaquaria ReefSalt I'm told is basically Fritz Pro Mix (RPM) salt.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your doing all the tests correctly I would mix up some salt then test it with your current tests. The values should be exact. Read the info on the salt and see what values for alk should be at the salinity level you mixed it up at. This will tell you which test to trust.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you are not reading the Salifert alk test backwards? Be sure that the way you are reading it, more titrant added to get to the color change means higher alk. many folks make that mistake with Salifert kits.

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking unfortunately I used full 2ml, etc. I'm mixing 4G of RO/DI then will add salt/heater/pump and run overnight then test using all three kinds of test kits again then probably throw away any results that are wildly outside the expected range from manufacturer. Liveaquaria ReefSalt I'm told is basically Fritz Pro Mix (RPM) salt.
For the salifert alk, for the full res, you should be using 4 mls, not two. You need to double the value :)

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reef_ninja - Thanks! Used 4ml and got more realistic results.

OK mixed 4G of RO/DI with LiveAquaria salt to bring salinity to same as tank 1.026 and temp 78 and let it run over night. [Will do water change later]

Here are the test results of LiveAquaria which manufacturer has the following targets for their salt : [Hanna is actually more aligned with the manufacturer specs]

LiveAquaria Reef Salt Manufacturere Parameters

ParmTest KitValue
AlkSalifert10.9
AF11.2
Hanna9.3
CalciumSalifert550
AF500
Hanna489
MagnesiumSalifert1650

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming my test results are kinda close then LiveAquaria runs Alk a little on the high side. Given my high measured levels of Magnesium, I've orderd another test kit to double check. PS I don't believe the high AF alk level of 11.2 but read the instructions twice and titrated until the color change they pointed out. I just redid the AF and still get 11.2 dkh which is really high result. If hanna makes a Mag test kit I'll buy one and if they don't will get an AquaForest one to check against what I get via Salifert.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go by what the results with a reference solution or standard say, not with which value is the most convenient. Numbers on salt buckets can be off. And if you have 3 tests with 3 results, that doesn't mean that the average of them is correct. They might all be off, or the most extreme one might be correct, without checking you wouldn't know.

In general I wouldn't even use a test that I haven't checked against a reference solution. The one by fauna marin covers a bunch of parameters. Some you can DIY.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go by what the results with a reference solution or standard say, not with which value is the most convenient. Numbers on salt buckets can be off. And if you have 3 tests with 3 results, that doesn't mean that the average of them is correct. They might all be off, or the most extreme one might be correct, without checking you wouldn't know.

In general I wouldn't even use a test that I haven't checked against a reference solution. The one by fauna marin covers a bunch of parameters. Some you can DIY.

great feedback and will try to get some independent standards to test against.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't found independent standards to test against yet but will continue looking. Got APEX/Trident hooked up and initial reading of tank was

1610325827001.png

Neptune recommends running it for several days before running their calibration standard through so will see how tank chemistry compares then. I haven't hooked up the APEX DOS to Trident for auto dose adjustments but that will be next step.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back