Which arm for AI prime?

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into planning a tank build and thinking about going with the AI Prime 16HD. The issue is on BRS the AI flex arm has some terrible reviews: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prime-flex-arm-18-inch-aqua-illumination.html

Notably, multiple people mention that the single screw attachment to the tank caused their light to fall in the water and fry. So what are my alternatives?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the bracket on recommendation as well. Since the goal of reefing is consistency including light levels for corals, I just don’t see a benefit to the flex arm. Even changing the height by an inch or two can have dramatic effects on PAR distribution, so I’d rather have it mounted securely exactly where I want it.

I seem to remember the comparable Red Sea light model has a fixed mount that allows you to flip up the light in a fixed way for cleaning then back to the exact same position; I think that’s the best design. But, I will say at the mount height I need, my prime has never once gotten in my way during maintenance and I think it’s more cost effective.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the mounting bracket as well, and I have had no issues. I just make sure the screws are as tight as they can be, for obvious reasons. When I clean, I do have to take the light off because it blocks part of my overflow. With a week or twos worth of salt, the screw can be difficult, but that’s an easy fix. I’m really happy with the AI prime, and my corals are too :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use and prefer the non-flex arm
I use the bracket type which is very supportive and sturdy

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer flex arms have a wider mounting piece. Even with the single screw one though, if it fell into their tank, they had to have put it on incorrectly. I used one for literal years without it budging. Have to take those reviews with a grain of salt...synthetic or otherwise lol

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the new and the old flex arm (12"). An yes I lost my old Prime in the tank when i bumped the light by accident. The new flex arm is almost twice as wide (2.25" compared to 1.25") and also way more secure. I can wiggle the new version and it doesn't even move where the old one does.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the 12" flex arms over my reef and as said the bracket is actually a lot chunkier now than the rigid mount, before that I had one of the original flex arms for a couple of years with no issue at all, i think mostly when people have had issues is when they have overtightened them and cracked it

Aesthetically to me they look so much smarter and sleeker as well, and reminds me of the Martian Heat Ray

waroftheworlds08.jpg

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the future I can confirm Aqua Illumination has fixed the bracket on the flex arm and it is now extremely beefy. I went with the flex arm because like Proteus I like the look a lot more.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back