Which Doser has the right head pressure?

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone I am new to this forum and converting from Freshwater to Reef aquarium. I'm excited in my new journey but do understand that I have to make a solid decision on the way I approach the setup of this tank. So I have hard decisions in a short time. So i'm trying to help create a Automatic water change system. I'm not running PVC through the ground or at least I would not like to. I will probably run one in order to protect the RO Tubing. So having a 1/2" PVC with RO tubes inside of it. if I can and run everything through there.
So going straight to my question I'm thinking of running RODI water in my basement which will have water station next to it and also the drain is next to the water station where it can dump water right into it. I was looking into the DOSER being upstairs in my house (which is two flights of steps) and sucking the water from my waterstation in my basement to my sump upstairs?
I measured the vertical feet and where my sump is down to the basement. I have on the first flight down I have 9Ft and on the second flight down another 9ft for a total of 18feet. Horizontal I have 12ft and 9ft for a total of 21ft. A total 40 feet. Also I will have have two right elbow bends since I'm not cutting the RODI tubing so I have less failure. The bends one be a hard 90 degree as it will pinch the tubing so it will be a wide turn. Even thinking of not using pvc and using electrical conduit with the wire mesh inside to protect just incase any rodent decides to take a swing.
So there it is 40ft of head pressure, 18ft being of Vertical pressure. Let me know your thoughts if you think this idea will work. Which Doser will work for this? I noticed GHL Maxi Doser on BRS stated it had 50ft head pressure. Can't find the others. Thanks in advance to anyone who shares true insight.

LAChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

I think you are confusing head pressure with suction pressure. For example, the GHL maxi doser will be able to pump against up to 50' of head pressure but will likely not be able to suck the -18+' of suction head. The solution in your case would be to locate the doser in the basement and find a pump (like the GHL) that will provide the adequate head pressure.

ETA: reading the description on BRS... I guess they claim it is possible, but I'm not sure I'd trust that. The suction line would begin to boil at -30' suction head (Freshwater).

Ryan

Last edited:

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having a 1/2" PVC with RO tubes inside of it. if I can and run everything through there.
Standard RO tubing is 1/4" outside diameter, so it's going to be really tough to run two RO lines inside a 1/2" inside diameter PVC pipe, especially for the distance you're talking about.

OP
OP
H

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard RO tubing is 1/4" outside diameter, so it's going to be really tough to run two RO lines inside a 1/2" inside diameter PVC pipe, especially for the distance you're talking about.
Thanks for replying I will adjust pvc to the size needed to run them

OP
OP
H

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

I think you are confusing head pressure with suction pressure. For example, the GHL maxi doser will be able to pump against up to 50' of head pressure but will likely not be able to suck the -18+' of suction head. The solution in your case would be to locate the doser in the basement and find a pump (like the GHL) that will provide the adequate head pressure.

ETA: reading the description on BRS... I guess they claim it is possible, but I'm not sure I'd trust that. The suction line would begin to boil at -30' suction head (Freshwater).

Ryan
Great suggestion I could do that as well if it's better to put it downstairs instead of upstairs. Thanks giving me some knowledge.
do you think it will work that way or will I still be having issues?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The litermeter will draw from 25' and push 60'. I think they are in the process of putting a new model out but do not know the date.

OP
OP
H

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KStatefan do you think going this route vs an actual pump is a better solution. I know they both work but pumps cost more that have the right head pressure vs a doser like Litermeter. I definitely trying to strategize on the best solution. Also how fast can it does a gallon of water?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a peristaltic pump is the only type of pump to use for an automatic water change system.

I do not know what the max flow it will pump. You would have to look at the specs

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through a lot of that with top off and dosing. Top off was impossible, I tried the large BRS doser, nothing. So talking to them they said most go to diaphragm pumps. The std 1/4" ro tube hammered the walls to the point my wife would kill the power ;Rage so I stepped the output to 3/8" to reduce pressure, still noticeable I went with a soft 3/8 tubing and its silent upstairs. I have yet to set up the AWC or even see if the maxi will cut it. I do have 3/8" fill and drain tubes that makes it easy (Manual) but my sand bed was suffering from hair algae,:oops: so I'm back to vacuuming the sand. But now I do less wc's so an awc is still on the list and maybe another pump. G/L

20200826_110104.jpg 20200826_110113.jpg

OP
OP
H

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback @siggy. How many feet of head pressure are you running the Maxi doser through? that was one of my options that I was looking at.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back