Which light colour is best for corals!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see what Mike Palleta said about Dr. Sanjay's halides in regards to real colors and growth.

Talking about BEST.
In Mr. Palleta's opinion 6500K bulbs win the race.
The very best growth and colors I've ever seen in my life were observed under 2 X 250W 6500K Iwasaki bulbs over one of the 55 gal. systems I had back in the day. I agree with Mr. Palleta.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you talked to them about that?
Do you know the real reason why Dr. Sanjay changed his lights?
Do you think the FACTS will change just because they have LEDs over their tanks today? LOL!
It's clear that Dr. Sanjay is choosing at this moment to keep those LEDs, but it's clear also that he noticed and misses those colors produced by the 14K halides! Do you agree with that?
Are you ignoring all the info to blindly defend LEDs??
Facts are things that won't change under the same circumstances. If Dr. Sanjay change those LEDs for the halides again, and he adapt well those corals to the halides, the colors will be back!! What do you say about that?

If some people still can't see the point here... those people can't see/read what's in this thread!
Or they just choose to be blind!

Last edited:

Matthijs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quickly looked at the video's as they are competely outdated and frankly I don't think Sanjay's tank looked better under halide.
But hey, thats my opinion?
So much things have changed the past 5 years and allso people's opinion can change.
Seems like you know Dr. Sanjay and mr. Paletta as if they where your brothers if I read your messages.
Light is one thing but there are so much parameters to look at when u want a healthy reef. Flow is as important as light, so does water parameters.
The hobby evolves, learn to live with it.......

Grtz,
Matthijs

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quickly looked at the video's as they are competely outdated and frankly I don't think Sanjay's tank looked better under halide.
But hey, thats my opinion?
So much things have changed the past 5 years and allso people's opinion can change.
Seems like you know Dr. Sanjay and mr. Paletta as if they where your brothers if I read your messages.
Light is one thing but there are so much parameters to look at when u want a healthy reef. Flow is as important as light, so does water parameters.
The hobby evolves, learn to live with it.......

Grtz,
Matthijs
They can't have the same colors they had with 6500K halides using their LEDs today. Period!
What does that fact have to do with the word "outdated"?
We are not brothers. You can meet them at MACNA.
The relativism comes when you say: "I don't think Sanjay's tank looked better under halide. "
But that won't bring that strong yellow back to the coral. Only the halides can do.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Matthijs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The relativism comes when you say: "I don't think Sanjay's tank looked better under halide. "
But that won't bring that strong yellow back to the coral. Only the halides can do.
Thanks.

Seems like it's impossible to have a conversation with you from both sides, multiple people tried to but everyone gave up cause you're staying at your point of view. Thats your right, but man........
You're pointing at !!!1!!! coral that looked better YEARS ago then it does today. Do you think the only thing that has changed is his lighting?
Maybe if he would place the coral on another place in the tank that it would get his colors back or would even color up better then before. Or did you ever got in mind that his water chemistry could have changed in meantime? The slightest change in chemistry can make a yellow coral look green (to much metals for example) as yellow is a very difficult color to keep in SPS.
But hey, if you think that your advice of putting MH above a tank would solve EVERY single problem in a reef tank (as this is your advice in every single topic), GOOD LUCK! :)

Grtz,
Matthijs

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't have the same colors they had with 6500K halides using their LEDs today. Period!
How many are running 6500k MH's???
Who's used 6500k LED's as a comparison??

You continually use apples to oranges comparisons..except for hanging the the yellow one, which btw will depend on how much yellow spectrum is in ANY TYPE of light..
And who trusts cameras??

6500K MH's are not AS DEFINED BY popular or current use, really "reef lights"... ;)
6500K MH.. 0%...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that fact have to do with the word "outdated"?
We are not brothers. You can meet them at MACNA.
Thanks.

I have seen a video of mike paletta talking about the LED and he does mention that he has noticed slightly faster growth and great colour using the LED butttttttttt he does state he has his LED set up For maximum colour and does state often that the lower kelvin will grow corals faster.. lower the kelvin the more growth and higher kelvin gives better colour but slower growth.. people still do believe that nothing beats MH and maybe there is some truth to this. However people such as sanjay and mike that have moved over from MH to LED makes you think... that if it was good enough for them to make the move then thats saying something.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You continually use apples to oranges comparisons..except for hanging the the yellow one, which btw will depend on how much yellow spectrum is in ANY TYPE of light..
And who trusts cameras??

6500K MH's are not AS DEFINED BY popular or current use, really "reef lights"... ;)
6500K MH.. 0%...

A good point this.. see even ecotech and red sea have ran experiments and suggest the bluer lights provide the best growth and colour..

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And who trusts cameras??

6500K MH.. 0%...
Ha ha. So Mike Palleta lied?
Do you have more experience than him and Dr. Sanjay?
Do you have ANY experience?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it's impossible to have a conversation with you from both sides, multiple people tried to but everyone gave up cause you're staying at your point of view. Thats your right, but man........
You're pointing at !!!1!!! coral that looked better YEARS ago then it does today. Do you think the only thing that has changed is his lighting?
Maybe if he would place the coral on another place in the tank that it would get his colors back or would even color up better then before. Or did you ever got in mind that his water chemistry could have changed in meantime? The slightest change in chemistry can make a yellow coral look green (to much metals for example) as yellow is a very difficult color to keep in SPS.
But hey, if you think that your advice of putting MH above a tank would solve EVERY single problem in a reef tank (as this is your advice in every single topic), GOOD LUCK! :)

Grtz,
Matthijs
This guy introduced LEDs for aquariums:

I know that every time I post the truth here some of you understand and agree, but don't post afraid of the "LED gang".
It would be so easy to agree with the facts and at the same time to choose LEDs for any reason. I don't care.
Many are just brain washed by the LED wagon IMO. It's like a cult. LOL!
I think I already contributed to this thread enough.
Have fun.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy introduced LEDs for aquariums:

I know that every time I post the truth here some of you understand and agree, but don't post afraid of the "LED gang".
It would be so easy to agree with the facts and at the same time to choose LEDs for any reason. I don't care.
Many are just brain washed by the LED wagon IMO. It's like a cult. LOL!
I think I already contributed to this thread enough.
Have fun.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there’s no “arguing” with this dude

Look guys, if you want informer opinions look to biologists/wholesellers/R&D companies. I mean, all those professionals and subject matter experts are switching over to more modern led formats because marketing!

/S

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like to get involved in this garbage unless somebody asks, but I think that everybody knows I have some strong opinions that MH are the ultimate for growth, color and ease to run a tank... and that this is based purely on two decades of my own experience. This is not important other than the experience part...

Here is what I am going to say about the linking to other people experiences and selective references to studies... use some common sense. AFAIK, there is no study out there that having no light will kill corals... you know, the one where somebody keeps a group of frags under no light for 6 months, and then another group under some light for 6 months. There is no PROOF via a study like that that no light kills corals. Of course, common sense says that you don't need this proof. The same can be said about anything that deviates from nature without a handful of peer reviewed, well funded and researched true-science... of which we have none for nearly anything.

I feel that most of you are linking and posting other people stuff that is just as useful as somebody watching **** all day trying to give advice about how to satisfy a mate in real life with statements like "the girl in the video really seemed to like it."

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common sense once said the sun goes around the earth..........

and that this is based purely on two decades of my own experience.

Basically an uncontrolled "experiment" w/ not quantification..so hearsay..

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that you meant some form of an anecdote based on personal observation... things that I gathered myself. For being an internet searcher, you are not very good at it at times.

Hearsay is what people say that they heard from other people... nothing direct from experience or knowledge. This is you... standing and linking on the backs of greater men, misinterpreting what you want, when you want and having nary a drop of actual experience for yourself.

Freudian slip, maybe? What you post is hearsay. What I post is experience. At least I quantify mine for what it is and don't have some backhanded quantification like "i never told anybody that I didn't ever use or try any of this stuff" often purposefully leaving people in the wake of assumption.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea not the best term.. ;)
I've never told anyone to use any particular light here..

People need to do their own due diligence no matter advice from me or you ...

The hearsay part was for things like "I told XXX to do this and it was great".. not your own "opinions"..

Already did glowing "data assessments" of Iwasaki 6500K mh's.
Why are these "better" than other halides?

Already stated that, in my opinion, LED's are evolving and the kinks are getting worked out.
Already stated LED "whites" on a "color" basis generally suck..

Let's be honest here.. you think ALL LED's are junk compared to what YOU use..or at least that is your inference.

I think MH's are just tools equal to LED's in MOST regards personal opinion or others which I do need others to back up my claims.. granted...

All one really needs is this.. ;)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy..

Light
The supply of sufficient photons of wavelengths between
400 and 700 nm is important for maintaining coral health
and achieving maximum growth....

Not all photons equally promote coral growth. Kinzie
et al. (1984) noted the association of the primary photo-
synthetic pigment chlorophyll a, with blue light (430–
495 nm) absorption. When examining the growth perfor-
mance of Acropora solitaryensis Veron & Wallace, 1984
grown ex situ under four metal halide treatments (150 W
bulbs with Kelvin ratings of 20 000, 14 000, 10 000 and
5000 K), Schlacher et al. (2007) found the highest growth
rate under 20 000 and 14 000 K bulbs which contained
more blue light than the other treatments. Not only does
blue light appear to enhance the growth and survivability
of stony corals, but red light (~630–690 nm used) may
repress the photophysiology of scleractinian corals as
observed in S. pistillata (see Wijgerde et al. 2014). It is
important to note that emission spectra and irradiance are
variable between different brands of bulbs advertised with
the same colour temperature.
Practical sources of light provision include metal halide,
T5 high output fluorescent, LED (light emitting diode)
and light emitting plasma (LEP). LEP and LED light
sources are cost–effective because they use less power to
achieve the same irradiance as other light sources (T5 and
metal halide) and thus can support the sustainability and
viability of ex situ coral propagation (Rocha et al. 2013a)
This may be
attributed to the broad emission bandwidth of LEP mod-
ules compared with the narrow bandwidths emitted by
the three colours of LEDs used (white, blue and royal
blue). However, Rocha et al. (2013a) found slightly higher
growth with blue LED lighting compared with LEP light-
ing for A. formosa and S. pistillata fragments. They assert
the importance of more research in determining the suit-
ability of LEP and LED lighting in the culture of more
species of scleractinian corals. The utilisation of a larger
variety of LEDs within LED modules could potentially
increase performance. Additionally, individual LEDs can
be easily retrofitted with optics which focus the light into
cones of emittance (e.g. 60°optics). This is common in
the aquarium industry and can increase the efficiency of
LED lighting applications by not ‘spilling’ photons away
from where corals are located

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back