Which sand to go with?

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, ya'll have actually been using the Arag-Alive stuff? Is that b/c you think it's beneficial, or just cause it's easy to find?

I've got the CaribSea Fiji Pink fine grain sand in my display and I like it alot. I have the next step up in size (the Special Grade, I guess?) in my refugium and 10 gallon (b/c thats what I could find locally). I've got no complaints with it, it's good stuff. When I first set up my tank, I included some 2-4mm pebbles in with the Fiji Pink, and I hate that stuff with a passion. It gets covered in algae and coraline and looks dirty. I've removed a ton of it, but it still pops up and persists in certain areas of the tank that I can't get to.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, ya'll have actually been using the Arag-Alive stuff? Is that b/c you think it's beneficial, or just cause it's easy to find?

I've got the CaribSea Fiji Pink fine grain sand in my display and I like it alot. I have the next step up in size (the Special Grade, I guess?) in my refugium and 10 gallon (b/c thats what I could find locally). I've got no complaints with it, it's good stuff. When I first set up my tank, I included some 2-4mm pebbles in with the Fiji Pink, and I hate that stuff with a passion. It gets covered in algae and coraline and looks dirty. I've removed a ton of it, but it still pops up and persists in certain areas of the tank that I can't get to.

i'm not exactly sure how beneficial it is.......but what i do know is every time i've moved and put in a new sand bed with this stuff......i've had absolutely no cycles, no losses, and no algae outbreaks.

the one time i used some regular dry caribsea i got a cycle and a major outbreak of algae that took months to clear up. also took months to clear up the NO2. it was very odd.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just redid my refugium and replaced all the sand with arag-alive. No algae outbreak or anything.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess i'm going with arag-live, is that wut you have in your tank surfn?

Pdosen03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arag-live is really nice..i have had a lot of success....i have found that any live sand with water in the bag is beneficial...carib sea is the best

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
um...carib sea makes the fiji pink, and the fiji pink is arag alive too
with that said i would go with any aragonite based sand

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back