Which would you add first?

Imback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is only 10 gallons and I will be doing the TTM so I can only do a few at a time. The DT is 150 with sand bottom already has turbostart and pods from Algae Barn in it.

1587413326995.png

2​

Ocellaris Clownfish
5​
Lyretail Anthias
1​
Cleaner Wrasse
1​
Green Mandarin
5​
Banggai Cardinalfish
1​
Midas Blennies
1​
Starcki Damsel
1​
Melanurus Wrasse
1​
Fairy Wrasse
1​
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
1​
Yellow Watchman Gobys
1​
Pistol Shrimp

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always started my tanks with a clown/clowns. They are territorial, but I've had good luck with them. They have a thick slime coat and they are hearty with the ebbs and flows of new tank water parameters. Otherwise I'd go with the cardinals... you should wait six months to a year for the mandarin. I'm excited for you! The picture is awesome.

OP
OP
Imback

Imback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always started my tanks with a clown/clowns. They are territorial, but I've had good luck with them. They have a thick slime coat and they are hearty with the ebbs and flows of new tank water parameters. Otherwise I'd go with the cardinals... you should wait six months to a year for the mandarin. I'm excited for you! The picture is awesome.

thanks Salty. I’m super stoked.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish list is fine at any order other than the Melanurus should be go in after the other wrasses. Consider having 2+ Fairy and 2+ Flashers (of different species). They display/flashing against each other a lot more than having one single one. Flashing Fairy and Flasher are much more beautiful when they are flashing
Same fishes at about the same week. Flashing and non flashing.
BlueThroatFairy2016010503.jpg

RWBBlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

EightlineFlasher2019052102.jpg

EightlineFlasher2019061301resized.jpg
NaokoFairy2019060603.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
P attenuatus2020032910L.jpg
P attenuatus2020041802L.jpg
RedFinFairy2020031901.jpg
RedFinFairy2020033002M.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashing Flasher wrasses in my QT. Showing here are Yellowfin Flasher and Carpenter Flasher. These fishes don't look like much at LFS for the price, as most are more expensive than a Yellow tang, but are jewels of the reef if you take good care of them.
flasherwrasses2018042201-jpg.746079

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Fairy and Flasher Wrasses, just wish their average lifespans would be at least 5 years longer. Fairies average 4-5 years so if their average lifespan is 9-10 years I’d be more willing to consider them. Flashers 5-6 so 10-12 would make me more willing to consider them.

Other than that, good luck with the tank OP. Keep us posted. If I were you I’d add the Clowns and the YWG as my first fish (and the YWG’s shrimp). After that, I’d do the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses. After that, the Blenny. Then, the Melanurus wrasse.

At this point you’ll have 7 fish and your tank should be up and running for at least 5 months with approximately a 3-5 week gap between adding each new fish. Now, you’ll be going to schooling territory. I’m not the most informed on Bangaii Cardinals though I heard they can be aggressive towards fellow Bangaiis. Maybe Pajama Cardinals are more peaceful (from many places I’ve read they live longer too and are peaceful fish while Bangaiis are semi-aggressive). IMO you could probably swap out 5 Bangaiis for 5 Pajama Cardinals and add them at this point.

Now, wait another month or two before adding that Starckii Damsel. Now, do not add any more fish before the 1.5 year mark.

Then, you can add the shoal of Anthias (not sure about them, but I heard some species kill each other). I’d add the Cleaner Wrasse and Mandarin when your tank is nearing 2 years old because the Mandarin requires a steady population of pods to sustain itself (it won’t take many prepared foods) and the Cleaner Wrasse also needs a certain amount of bacteria to live. Both can be difficult fish.

Feel free to critique my advice.

Now let’s look at the dietary requirements of your fish. Many fish can become more or less “omnivorous” over time, and most of the species on your list don’t seem to be overly finicky eaters though I’d be especially concerned (apart from the Mandarin and the Cleaner Wrasse) about your Anthias. They need to be fed like 4/6 times a day and carry a heavy bioload. Make sure your filtration is the best it could possibly be.

Clownfish- Omnivore

Starckii Damsel- Omnivore

Wrasses - Carnivore

Cardinalfish - Carnivore

Anthias - Carnivores

Mandarin - They eat pods as their main source of food, well-established tank required.

Cleaner Wrasse-mainly eats off of other fish, well-established tank required.

Yellow Watchman Goby- Carnivore

Midas Blenny- Omnivore

High quality flake and pellet foods, frozen mysis and brine (and other nutritious frozen foods like fish roe and shrimp roe), trips to the seafood market, and the occasional feeding of live foods (bloodworms, blackworms, mysis or brine shrimp, live seafood) if you can get live foods. These should serve you well.

P.S. You’re not having one, two, but 4 Wrasses. A blenny and Goby too. Tank top is a must as they are prone to jumping. An open tank is basically giving the green light for your fish (fish in general, I treat 95% of all fish as jumpers regardless of whether they’re less likely to jump or more likely to jump relatively speaking) to suicide.

Good luck with everything.

OP
OP
Imback

Imback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great feedback. My tank has a top but I have wondered why so many don't. I will save that conversation for a later date.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back