White Fuzz? on SPS

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this on my Forest Fire Digi. At first I ignored it because I have multiple wrasses that sleep in mucous cocoons at night and I thought perhaps it was one of those caught on the coral but it is still there after 2 weeks. The coral does not seem to be upset, good polyp extension, and there is no other corals close by that could be bothering it. Today I noticed it is also on my Purple Stylo (it was purple when I got it from previous owner but it turned green in my tank). Again no other corals nearby to bother it. Test is the most recent I have available. Picture and video were taken with orange clip-on filter on iPhone SE and zoomed in as close as I could get just after lights turned on this morning. Corals have been in my tank for nearly 6 months.

5-15-21.jpg
IMG-2592.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2591.MOV
    20 MB

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like possible bacterial bloom. Did you have any recent deaths in the tank that could have caused a spike in ammonia? What are your nitrates levels currently?
Edit: Nevermind, I just saw you posted them...

OP
OP
Trouble1375

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like possible bacterial bloom. Did you have any recent deaths in the tank that could have caused a spike in ammonia? What are your nitrates levels currently?
we had a 2 corals that started receding and one lost some flesh (symphyllia) and a trachy (took it out before it started losing flesh). All fish are accounted for. About 6-7 weeks ago we had an overdose on NOPOX and wound up doing a 90% water change on our 125 gallon mixed reef. The nitrates we are fighting to keep off 0 and we’re battling with the phosphates that keep creeping. The NOPOX dosing was due to both Nitrates and Phosphates staying high. We added a roller mat in place of the filter socks.

OP
OP
Trouble1375

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the mystery continues. The white “fuzz/slime” continues. Took the chaeto out of the sump and restarted the ATS. Nitrates are now in the 30ish range and phosphates are around .05-.10. We have lost - symphyllia, 2 platygra, favia, trachy and our huge meat coral. Zoas, mushrooms, sun coral, gorgonia, GSP, hammers, frogspawns and octospawns are all doing well (new growth on all mentioned). We have various chyphestreas, a Hollywood stunner, pavona, hydnophora that are all doing well and a JF Sector 001 and Dayglo that are also growing very well. SPS are still hanging on with good polyp extension except on the underside of the branchs where the “fuzz/slime” is at. All parameters are essentially the same as my original post. I have noticed this odd slime/fuzz on the edges of the Wavemakers and on one of the overflows. I’m baffled and frustrated. The water is also quite cloudy - I just added GAC back into the tank today.
Dosing is via dosing pump ATI Essentials PRO & Kalkwasser. Dose phytoplankton and zooplankton 3 times a week, Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ twice a week. Heavily stocked (19 fish) feed 5 cubes frozen daily and it is all gone within minutes. 2 strips (2”x3”) of Nori once daily. Tank is 125 gallons running dual 30 gallon sumps. Roller mat in one sump and filter sock and ATS in the 2nd sump. No changes to lighting, flow, etc in the last 18 months.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back