Who hosts whom?

Which is the proper way to say this (comment on WHY in the comments)

• The Clownfish are hosting an anemone...

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The anemone is hosting 2 clownfish

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I dont care - because I dont have a clownfish or an anemone or just dont care.

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its always been a question for me - why do people (to me incorrectly) - say that clowns host anemones - when in fact it seems (to me) that its the other way around. So I decided to do a poll - which should it be - and Please comment 'Why'? Might as well have some happy discussion during the pandemic:)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always been a question for me - why do people (to me incorrectly) - say that clowns host anemones - when in fact it seems (to me) that its the other way around. So I decided to do a poll - which should it be - and Please comment 'Why'? Might as well have some happy discussion during the pandemic:)
I think its because the clowns have to choose to go to the nem. The nem can't chase down the clowns.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like humans having company over, the anemone is the host and the clowns are the guests

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ahhhhh THANK YOU!! I see MANY comments about clowns hosting and it drives me up the wall ;Shifty

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahhhhh THANK YOU!! I see MANY comments about clowns hosting and it drives me up the wall ;Shifty
Yes - its funny with all thats going on - covid, the election, etc - this phrase drives me nuts as well. Of course the election is over - and we all have covid - so that takes 2 things out of the equation

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow striped maroon clown that made his home in a bubble coral. He loved it. The coral, not so much. I'd say since the nem/coral just sits there, and the clown decides where it wants to go, neither. The clown is just a welcome or unwelcome squatter. We could change the phrase to "clown squatting a nem", but that just doesn't sound right. ;)

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a discussion. There are clear rules on what defines a host. A clownfish isn’t a host. Unless it’s to a parasite, bacteria, etc.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its interesting - though I read it all the time the 'clowns hosting the anemone' people arent voting/commenting:).

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bugs me even more is SOOOO many people pronouncing. Ah-Nem-Oh-Nee as Ah-Nen-Nah-Mee
over and over and over and over... then you gotta decide if you're going to be a jerk and correct them or be irritated each time they say it wrong.

Just think of what you say when you see an awesome one. Ah Nem OHHHHHH

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say my clowns are hosting, because saying my clowns are being hosted is a mouthful and it is clear that the meaning is understood to be the same. the technical difference is not typically an important distinction. though incorrect the english language has no governing body so, outside the scientific or technical context, definitions are as commonly used.

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubbletip x2 091920.jpg

and my 2 clowns prefer the side glass.
:cool:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say my clowns are hosting, because saying my clowns are being hosted is a mouthful and it is clear that the meaning is the same. the technical difference is not typically an important distinction. though incorrect the english language has no governing body so, outside the scientific or technical context, definitions are as commonly used.
Don’t see how the English language has anything to do with this subject other than it being discussed in English.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see how the English language has anything to do with this subject other than it being discussed in English.
This is a naive rebuttal. we are discussing english statements, which is why the language is intimately intertwined. The technical side is well defined. in the scientific literature it is quite clear the clowns are being hosted. There is no dispute of technical definitions, to say that clowns are hosting is technically incorrect. However, in common parlance the statement that the clowns host the nem remains, as it is widely understood to mean the same thing, and the technical distinction in context is unimportant. I personally find the few extra words worth being technically correct but merely posit this explanation for the persistence of the technically incorrect usage, it is an effective shorthand which is widely understood.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back