Who is reefing in SWVA?

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, excited to see this thread! I moved to Smyth County a couple years ago from Richmond and was beginning to think (based on the lack of saltwater stores etc) that I was the only person in SWVA with a reef tank lol.

I had planted freshwater tanks since I was about 15 years old but only about 3 years ago finally started a reef tank. It's just a 40 gallon mixed but always planning the next upgrade!

Any advice on fish stores that are worth the drive? Any active clubs around?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, excited to see this thread! I moved to Smyth County a couple years ago from Richmond and was beginning to think (based on the lack of saltwater stores etc) that I was the only person in SWVA with a reef tank lol.

I had planted freshwater tanks since I was about 15 years old but only about 3 years ago finally started a reef tank. It's just a 40 gallon mixed but always planning the next upgrade!

Any advice on fish stores that are worth the drive? Any active clubs around?
It's a bit of a haul from Smyth County but we have a few good reef stores here in the greater Roanoke area.

Ultimate Aquariums in Daleville is a solid spot. Justin the owner is a super nice guy and he has a pretty diverse stock of fish, corals, inverts, tanks, dry goods, etc.

Alien Aquatics is another good store that does both saltwater and freshwater.

I highly recommend checking out both if you're ever in the area. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any active reef clubs in the area. I tried getting one going a while back but it's tough to get enough interest.

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit of a haul from Smyth County but we have a few good reef stores here in the greater Roanoke area.

Ultimate Aquariums in Daleville is a solid spot. Justin the owner is a super nice guy and he has a pretty diverse stock of fish, corals, inverts, tanks, dry goods, etc.

Alien Aquatics is another good store that does both saltwater and freshwater.

I highly recommend checking out both if you're ever in the area. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any active reef clubs in the area. I tried getting one going a while back but it's tough to get enough interest.
Thanks for the input! At this point I am ok with a 1.5 hour drive to visit a good store, I'll def check them both out.
Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back