Who still does micro bubble scrubbing on their reef?

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Micro bubble scrubbing has been around forever... nothing new here. I've been using this technique since 2007 and it's great for getting detritus suspended and into your filter media for removal. The idea is that the micro bubbles get into every crevice of your tank and attach to detritus causing them to float to the surface and through your overflow.

I usually do this a couple of hrs before lights off and a couple times a week. Simply place an airstone under the intake of your return pump or powerhead. Great way to oxygenate your tank as well.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with microbubbles (sometimes incorrectly called nanobubbles by reefers) has always been the false hype and claims, but detritus removal is certainly reasonable since it is essentially enhanced skimming (IMO).

What benefits do you attribute to detritus removal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have for Dino eradication but try avoid doing it unless absolutely necessary

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling dying green hair algae that launched a dino outbreak...Don't ask me how but whatever, right....I keep my nutrients well above zero for both nitrate = 12.6 and phosphate = .08 or just even to .1...So I turned the heat up just a tad to 81 degrees, dosed microbacter 7 and put an airstone in the tank...and here we are...2 days later and very minimal brown stringy/snotty strands...I also see this turning some of the remaining green hair algae turning gray...So maybe there is something good with bubble scrubbing for a tank...

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of see microbubble scrubbing as a mimic to aeration from heavy wave action in the wild. Beaches with heavy wave action are almost always very clean, which makes sense based on the currents alone, but I wonder if the bubbles do something like what they do in aquariums.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I kind of see microbubble scrubbing as a mimic to aeration from heavy wave action in the wild. Beaches with heavy wave action are almost always very clean, which makes sense based on the currents alone, but I wonder if the bubbles do something like what they do in aquariums.
That’s exactly what they do… the bubbles attach to detritus and even get into areas we can’t easily reach for export removal

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’m sorta skeptical, but then again just throwing this out there but I thought or remember freshwater tanks looking slightly “sparkly” when bathed in fine air bubbles.
I guess I’m saying if the effect actually ends up being “visual” only, or aesthetically better in the eye of the beholder the. I guess that makes it real enough fwiw

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling dying green hair algae that launched a dino outbreak...Don't ask me how but whatever, right....I keep my nutrients well above zero for both nitrate = 12.6 and phosphate = .08 or just even to .1...So I turned the heat up just a tad to 81 degrees, dosed microbacter 7 and put an airstone in the tank...and here we are...2 days later and very minimal brown stringy/snotty strands...I also see this turning some of the remaining green hair algae turning gray...So maybe there is something good with bubble scrubbing for a tank...
How bad was your outbreak ? I was thinking about trying this if everything else fails. Haha

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that the system is more mature I only do micro bubble scrubbing once or twice a month. The corals seem to love it and the SPS get rowdy during it. lol

IMG_0850.png

IMG_1345.png

IMG_1344.png

IMG_1346.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back