Who to Choose? Best (looking) pest control fish?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful abt cleaner shrimp. Mine is spoiled to mysis or whatever else I’m feeding. When I come near the tank he follows me around. In the process he dances and prances across every polyp, brain coral and mushroom he can find. Makes me crazy. And he only cleans when a fish feels like letting him. The neon goby, on the other hand, swim up to all the fish and work away. Great fish.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a Molly Miller blenny, see if your lfs orders from Sustainable Aquatics. SA has captive bred Molly Millers.
I talked to the livestock manager at my LFS and they got a half dozen from SA. Mine is still in quarantine, but an interesting fish and eats anything I throw in the tank.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
six lines are great for pest control as they are smaller and can reach in tighter places and you see their behavior moving from one frag to another and inspecting and nipping... they look great but are rather aggressive.
melanurus is an excellent choice as well and less aggressive against other wrasses or fish they work well also for pyramid snails.
Lawnmower blenny is great for different algaes but looks horrible and can be a bit aggressive on other fish when it grows.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a Molly Miller blenny, see if your lfs orders from Sustainable Aquatics. SA has captive bred Molly Millers.
I talked to the livestock manager at my LFS and they got a half dozen from SA. Mine is still in quarantine, but an interesting fish and eats anything I throw in the tank.
My lfs has them on order for me from SA

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught mine after a couple months of trying. Just fed pellet only and floated them in the top corner of the tank. The first time he decided he was hungry enough for some pellets I scooped him out and couldn't believe it actually happened lol. NEVER will I EVER put a 6 line in another tank of mine (at least that has any other fish that I give a dam about...)

I finally caught my six line after losing peppermint shrimp, gobies, blennies, cardinal, and I can't remember what else. Biocube 29. I did the DIY fish trap from plastic water bottle. But.......every time he went in, I would open lid to go for it and out he went. Finally tied fishing line to the trap, ran the line to my recliner 10 feet away, closed the lid, and fixed a cocktail. My wife doesn't like fishing, but she really got into watching him start to go in the trap then turn around for about 90 minutes. (3 more cocktails). Finally I heard her "get him!" as I looked away and I pulled that line so hard I about took the top off the tank. But, one six line on his way to the LFS the next day! I wish we had it on video!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back