Why are LED lights so Expensive?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you sneak by me?.. I must have been typing slow.. but thanks for the support..:)

Where did you get the 72W from? Listed below for 60" but your conclusion is fine.. ;)

I pulled it from the BRS page Fascinating that they’d have different specs on different sites. But here’s what it says on their page:

Specifications:
12 LEDs per foot
LED Wattage - 3w per LED (driven at approx 50%)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my own personal experience, but I ran six Kessil A360WEs and two 80W T5HO lights for several years. After an Apex failure, I lost a couple of Kessils. I was undecided about lighting, so I decided to try some black box lights off of Amazon (Philzon). They don't have all of the controls and ramping, but I could install three units for less than the price of one Kessil until I made my mind up about permanent lighting upgrades (I was leaning toward ReefBreeders, but the coronavirus situation caused them to be unavailable for the foreseeable future). Well, after of couple of months with the black box lights, the coral growth has been amazing. I've never had the kind of growth I'm experiencing now, and the coloration has improved and changed dramatically. I see colors in corals that were never there before. Now, I hesitate to change anything simply due to all of the success I've had with this unintentional experiment.

I had almost $2000 in lighting before, and I replaced all of that with $250 worth of lighting that seems to perform better. Go figure.
Thanks I will be looking into these!

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my own personal experience, but I ran six Kessil A360WEs and two 80W T5HO lights for several years. After an Apex failure, I lost a couple of Kessils. I was undecided about lighting, so I decided to try some black box lights off of Amazon (Philzon). They don't have all of the controls and ramping, but I could install three units for less than the price of one Kessil until I made my mind up about permanent lighting upgrades (I was leaning toward ReefBreeders, but the coronavirus situation caused them to be unavailable for the foreseeable future). Well, after of couple of months with the black box lights, the coral growth has been amazing. I've never had the kind of growth I'm experiencing now, and the coloration has improved and changed dramatically. I see colors in corals that were never there before. Now, I hesitate to change anything simply due to all of the success I've had with this unintentional experiment.

I had almost $2000 in lighting before, and I replaced all of that with $250 worth of lighting that seems to perform better. Go figure.
I see multiple Philzon grow lights on Amazon. Specifically what did you get? And how many inches from top of tank do you have them mounted and how do you run them (hours) and do you run them concurrently with your remaining kessils?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see multiple Philzon grow lights on Amazon. Specifically what did you get? And how many inches from top of tank do you have them mounted and how do you run them (hours) and do you run them concurrently with your remaining kessils?
I got the Philzon reef light. You have to search for it a little. I'd post the link, but it's not working from my phone for some reason. If you can't find it let me how and I'll post it from the computer when I get home.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if this link works:
Check this out at Amazon.com
Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Auqarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef

I bought three for my 125 gallon tank.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why Amazon links are no longer working. Here is the text description for the light if you want to search for it:

Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Auqarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look GREAT! Thank you! I think I may get a couple and add them in between my Noopsyche’s for better coverage and larger spectrum. I don’t have any red channel. Thanks so much!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back