Why are posts deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That are unflattering towards certain companies that pay to be sponsors on this site?

I'm guessing because 99% of the websites profits are made off corporate sponsors and this gives you a reason to censor?

So in other words this isn't a truly an independent, information site. This is a site purely to make money off of people's hobby while also having the facade of a place people can voice their opinions on certain products in a mature way.

I've trying to understand the logic behind this.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the powers that be want it that way and their forum is a business for them :). You may try posting in the forum news/feedback/help section if you are asking for them to reconsider the policies.

Negative Feedback Threads:
Outside comments are NOT permitted. The reason for this is to allow the vendor and member work through the negative experience. The staff will remove posts by other parties not pertaining to the transaction. The only exception to this is that users may post links (without commentary) to their own feedback threads with the same seller/buyer. These are the only outside party comments that are allowed.

About the First Amendment, censorship, and your "right to free speech":
  • You do indeed have an absolute right to free speech. However this forum is privately owned and requires members to abide by our rules and by the decisions of our staff.

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That are unflattering towards certain companies that pay to be sponsors on this site?

I'm guessing because 99% of the websites profits are made off corporate sponsors and this gives you a reason to censor?

So in other words this isn't a truly an independent, information site. This is a site purely to make money off of people's hobby while also having the facade of a place people can voice their opinions on certain products in a mature way.

I've trying to understand the logic behind this.

+1 on read the posted rules.

My observations: There are lots of unflattering post about the vendors on this site, but members make posts that don't always adhere to the rules. Often hearsay from other sites or repeating of accounts from "someone I know" are posted and thus removed for good reason. Another problem is that negative review threads tend to get off track with personal attacks and off topic posts which will get a thread locked down until the mods can clean it up.

From what I can tell, since this is a business, which balances the income generating member traffic with vendor fees, they created narrow rules for respectful firsthand negative feedback with the ability of the vendors to defend their businesses.

In the end human beings decided what is and isn't complying with the user agreement and since it's not always a black and white situation there will be disagreements and misunderstandings about deleted posts and locked threads.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anyone who thinks this is an “independent information site” is kidding themselves. Look around you, there are adds everywhere. This site is a business, and a successful one at that. I take no issue with this. If you walked into a Ford dealership and started talking to all the customers about how much Ford sucked they’d likely have you removed from the premises as well.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the powers that be want it that way and their forum is a business for them :). You may try posting in the forum news/feedback/help section if you are asking for them to reconsider the policies.

Negative Feedback Threads:
Outside comments are NOT permitted. The reason for this is to allow the vendor and member work through the negative experience. The staff will remove posts by other parties not pertaining to the transaction. The only exception to this is that users may post links (without commentary) to their own feedback threads with the same seller/buyer. These are the only outside party comments that are allowed.

About the First Amendment, censorship, and your "right to free speech":
  • You do indeed have an absolute right to free speech. However this forum is privately owned and requires members to abide by our rules and by the decisions of our staff.
I think anyone who thinks this is an “independent information site” is kidding themselves. Look around you, there are adds everywhere. This site is a business, and a successful one at that. I take no issue with this. If you walked into a Ford dealership and started talking to all the customers about how much Ford sucked they’d likely have you removed from the premises as well.

My issue comes when companies are given a more favorable light than they deserve due to add revenue.

I had a comment that would quite literally said 'The new American way is for corporations to buy the competition instead of investing and innovating to compete' in relation to AquaIllimuniation and EcoTech.

I didn't say anything offensive or make an immature comment. I don't see why this is something that would be censored.

This website is very much like China, I'm starting to see.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm disappointed. We are all here because we enjoy the same hobby.

I shouldn't have to put my animals under undue stress or have negative consequences to their health because of a product or company that is pushed on this site.

If I buy a hard product and it fails or doesn't perform like the company says - we should be able to in a mature manner call out these companies for failing to provide what they say.

We should give them the opportunity to correct their mistakes, that's only fair but treating this site like China is a mistake.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I shouldn't have to put my animals under undue stress or have negative consequences to their health because of a product or company that is pushed on this site.

If I buy a hard product and it fails or doesn't perform like the company says - we should be able to in a mature manner call out these companies for failing to provide what they say.

We should give them the opportunity to correct their mistakes, that's only fair but treating this site like China is a mistake.

You can "call out" companies when you have a product fail - start a thread about your specific product issues you've experienced with AI and EcoTech? Making broad comments about the "American way" aren't product issues that can be resolved.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem with this is, I can go to a Ford dealer or website and tell them the supercharger they sold me for my Mustang isn't working correctly or putting out the kinds of numbers they advertise.

They won't censor me for that. Money above everything else I guess.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other places to post your honest feedback. Big reason humblefish started his own website, was to get away from the commercial crap that this website bleeds for.
Thanks for dropping that little bit of knowledge. I'll have to take a look!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. This is the China of reef sites and I'm okay knowing that now.

I'll go elsewhere or start/go to a another site that prizes information over money.

Thank you!

Good luck, I hope it's a success! Maybe PM a mod to talk through your concerns?

Did you fix your lights? Did you contact AI through their support website? They probably monitor that a lot more closely than their sub forum here.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum, like any forum has to balance the interests of commercial success with providing an open platform. That obviously doesn't excuse everything a forum could do and often when the balance tips too much one way or another there is a mass exodus.

That being said, I do think it's important to recognize the inherent limitations on any online website. If you truly want honest trustworthy feedback, it's also important to supplement anything you read online with real world experience- often in the form of a reef club or a trusted nearby reefer. This way you can be sure the opinions you're reading are truly independent and are not influenced positively or negatively by another company.

I use this forum like any tool- it's part of my arsenal of information, even if there are certain limitations.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did. It was modified.
Hi! I'm looking into this situation. Are you referring to the thread you started in the AI sponsor forum?

We are careful about not removing feedback threads. We do have rules about feedback posts, but we certainly want to allow voices to be heard when issues arise. I'm working to figure out what the issue may have been.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Except that there are many threads that post about DOA purchases, product failures etc that aren't "removed from the premises". I am not saying this isn't a for-profit business, just the opposite. Let's not ignore that this site also makes its money from traffic so that the integrity of the content is also a valuable commodity, which is why the analogy to a car dealership isn't fully valid.

Not all negative vendor posts are removed. I have made many posts about my first hand experience with product shortcomings/disappointments with R2R vendors and not one has been edited nor deleted.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were China your post wouldn’t have just been removed, you would have as well. Americans are so sensitive about being able to say whatever they want without consequence, that’s not how the world works. Understand that there are commercial influences everywhere and take the information you get with a grain of salt. Evaluate it and decide what to believe and what to discard. None of us have any rights on the internet, we are at the whims of whomever owns the site. They are paying money to have the site hosted and to maintain it, either for profit or to push an agenda.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on at least 5 forums since more than 20 years and have been a mod on R2R for few years so I know the "behind the scenes discussions" before a post is deleted or a thread is closed, and also know the members needs very well too.
In short, feedback threads are allowed/ encouraged in the right place and in a right context to keep it civil and direct.
No thread or post is deleted unless it's in the wrong place or breaches the TOS
Yes it's a private owned forum and needs income to cover the expenses dont see how it is different than any other forums.
I've seen people get banned on other forums for less than what's been posted on this thread so really dont see the cause for all that?
Anyone that has an issue with a thread or post closed /deleted can of course get in touch with the mods team to check why it was deleted and a notification explaining the cause is always sent with any action. Happy Reefing all.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, like if you experience troubles with a product or that the product is broken or anything. we should be ableto point them out and describe your problem, and let the company make improvements. as long as you don't go about the forum saying to everyone that redsea is trash and their products suck and I hate them blah blah...just because oneof the reefled you bought from redsea failed to work.
instead just point out your troubles and let them try and fish it you know

(i actually like redsea a lot
and I have a lot of their tanks :D)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow

We must be linking to different web sites. The R2R I peruse has lots of information about products good and bad whenever I do searches or start a thread looking for info on a product before I pull the trigger.

They must really suck at censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back