Why cant u keep sps?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was unable to grow coralline. But since swapping my lights to t5 from kessils, pulling my fuge, dosing vibrant it started growing like mad

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's his maintenance routine? I have some rocks that CANNOT grow coralline either. It's kind of annoying. PO4 is 0.024?
I believe he says it is .024. Let me double check. He does weekly water changes of 30gallons.

Anthony, he started with dry rock about 5 years ago. He has growth with LPS but all of his SPS eventually die.

I have scraped out sheets of coralline algae from my tank for him. Gave him old frag plugs covered in it and it all dies.

corey

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe he says it is .024. Let me double check. He does weekly water changes of 30gallons.

Anthony, he started with dry rock about 5 years ago. He has growth with LPS but all of his SPS eventually die.

I have scraped out sheets of coralline algae from my tank for him. Gave him old frag plugs covered in it and it all dies.

corey
You can tell him try the 3 zeovit bacteria core for 6 months and see if its help. What is his system volume?

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anthony,while I’m dosing zeobac and zeostart3,if my nitrates and phosphates are to low can i just dose nitrogen and phosphorus from Brightwell to bring them the up or you have any suggestions(or something similar to Brightwell phos and nitrates from zeovit)Im new at this something new to learn.Thanks

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Anthony,while I’m dosing zeobac and zeostart3,if my nitrates and phosphates are to low can i just dose nitrogen and phosphorus from Brightwell to bring them the up or you have any suggestions(or something similar to Brightwell phos and nitrates from zeovit)Im new at this something new to learn.Thanks
As far as phosphate and nitrate I like to raise it naturally by feeding more and turn down your skimmer just let it make bubble to add oxygen to the tank but don't skim. If u do this for a week your nutrients will go up. I feed 8x a day on pellet n flake combo plus 1 frozen at night.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as phosphate and nitrate I like to raise it naturally by feeding more and turn down your skimmer just let it make bubble to add oxygen to the tank but don't skim. If u do this for a week your nutrients will go up. I feed 8x a day on pellet n flake combo plus 1 frozen at night.

This. Eight times a day got me to 5-10 nitrate (Salifert). Roughly 15 times each day got me to 25 nitrate. If you nitrates and phosphate are already low (and you want to dose bacteria) wouldn't it make sense to skip the Zeostart? @ycnibrc?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This. Eight times a day got me to 5-10 nitrate (Salifert). Roughly 15 times each day got me to 25 nitrate. If you nitrates and phosphate are already low (and you want to dose bacteria) wouldn't it make sense to skip the Zeostart? @ycnibrc?
It's much easier do feed and raise nitrate and phosphate than stop zeostart3 then have to dose again to bring down nutrients. U can always reduce the dosage per tank consumption

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another tank with the same problem. It's almost like an epidemic

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tank with the same problem. It's almost like an epidemic

the bacteria (in general) no doubt helps. I bet you could stop dosing the stuff in your tank, and it wouldn't even skip a beat, because it's so established at this point, with the Zeobak you've been adding. I don't know if you adding more does anything, obviously doesn't hurt.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bacteria (in general) no doubt helps. I bet you could stop dosing the stuff in your tank, and it wouldn't even skip a beat, because it's so established at this point, with the Zeobak you've been adding. I don't know if you adding more does anything, obviously doesn't hurt.

I’m wondering if we are doing something that’s greatly reducing bacteria? Peroxide dosing maybe?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if we are doing something that’s greatly reducing bacteria? Peroxide dosing maybe?
I don't dose peroxide.

A few strains probably mutate and take over as time goes on, But I don't know if adding more regularly does any good though. Maybe add some every few months, but ever since I stopped with MB7 and Dr Tim's, my cyano hasn't come back, and I'm feeding maybe more than I did.

I think it's good to replenish the bacteria...

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't dose peroxide.

A few strains probably mutate and take over as time goes on, But I don't know if adding more regularly does any good though. Maybe add some every few months, but ever since I stopped with MB7 and Dr Tim's, my cyano hasn't come back, and I'm feeding maybe more than I did.

I think it's good to replenish the bacteria...
MB7 and Dr Tim are not the same as zeobak and zeostart3. One is more for cycle. The other is more toward reducing nitrate and phosphate and adding microorganisms to feed the Coral. Two completely different thing.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup my tank on November 15. All dead bleached rock. Added all my coral to it the last week of December. Things are alive but not thriving. I just received zeobak and zeostart3 and starting at half the recommended doses. Hope I can post back in a month with some positive news.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup my tank on November 15. All dead bleached rock. Added all my coral to it the last week of December. Things are alive but not thriving. I just received zeobak and zeostart3 and starting at half the recommended doses. Hope I can post back in a month with some positive news.
Perhaps you can complement your bacteria by borrowing some old rock to help seed your dead rock?

It would seem to be a nice additional value for local reef clubs if they set up "rock swaps" in addition to frag swaps.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you can complement your bacteria by borrowing some old rock to help seed your dead rock?

It would seem to be a nice additional value for local reef clubs if they set up "rock swaps" in addition to frag swaps.
I would but I’ve battled a bunch of hitchhikers in the past and am trying to avoid them this time around.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks please update your progress.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone here battling near zero nutrients in a tank free of algae?

I had this problem in a dry rock based tank and the tank eventually devolved into a dino-wasteland, wiping out several dozen SPS. I'm utilizing the same dry rock nearly two years after the fact and the tank can now support SPS. Nitrates were steadily at 5-10 until a relatively recent (but incremental) increase as a result of intentional excessive feeding (in part to get a better sense of what this tank can tolerate nutrient import wise). I worked up to 25 nitrate over the course of a month or so. I feel better with a nitrate reading and a little algae as it's far removed from dinos although I don't necessarily need the nitrate to be at 25. Interestingly, the rock still won't grow coralline algae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back