Why doesn't Triton test for nitrate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering a very important element we mostly all test for is nitrate levels but Triton ICP doesn't have it. It would be nice I think for them to add this.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not test for Nitrate with an ICP machine, nitrate is not an element.

We only test for parameters that we feel provide a value to the customer, by that we mean either the parameter either cannot be tested for currently or the lab test provides far greater accuracy than you can do yourself. Currently neither of these apply. Home testing is accurate enough and Nitrate is a parameter that you should not be waiting a week for. Any lab offering Nitrate testing is simply carrying out the same test you would at home but with a week old sample.

That is not to say that we would not look into providing this parameter in the future if new techniques and technologies proved we could provide that value to the customer.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the explanation. Makes sense.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not to say that we would not look into providing this parameter in the future if new techniques and technologies proved we could provide that value to the customer.

I'm only 1 but i actually use Ati icp kits now as i get nitrate & salinity & alk values which i find useful as a double check feature.
Not trying to cause trouble just letting you know as a previous customer why i'm now buying the other brand packet.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 1 but i actually use Ati icp kits now as i get nitrate & salinity & alk values which i find useful as a double check feature.
Not trying to cause trouble just letting you know as a previous customer why i'm now buying the other brand packet.

That is of course your choice however they are all parameters that you can test for yourself and ones that should be tested and acted upon immediately, not after a week or so.

When we are talking about trace elements these are measured via the atoms themselves and are not effected over that timescale.

Alkalinity especially, which again is done via droplet test, especially should not be acted upon by a week old sample.

If you only want to double check those readings then I would suggest getting them confirmed by a LFS as then at least you have immediate usable results.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be useful to test for nitrogen? I realize this may have little to do with nitrate concentration, but it would tell us the sum of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, amino acids, and any other organic nitrogen content. I notice that you do test for P and this would be a sum of orthophosphate and organics. Would a N test be much the same?

Just wondering.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be useful to test for nitrogen? I realize this may have little to do with nitrate concentration, but it would tell us the sum of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, amino acids, and any other organic nitrogen content. I notice that you do test for P and this would be a sum of orthophosphate and organics. Would a N test be much the same?

Just wondering.
We are always looking a new technologies and techniques that can bring extra elements and parameters.

Stay tuned....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back