Why so green ?

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a nightmare with the algae on the back wall. The rocks are cured that way and I’m not particularly bothered about them (I read that they should turn darker and purple as coralline takes over)

This algae is so hard to scrape away, I press as hard as possible with my scraper but it just prevails. I water change every week and I’m sick of it growing back before the next w/c.

As you can see I am trying to start GSP on the wall so I could do with this being finito asapo

thanks peeps
EC0E14A7-C34F-4F43-BE42-B70DC2604204.jpeg
50E52788-DF28-419C-8224-13ED6770E0AD.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the normal "uglies" to me. Algae is ubiquitous, trick is getting enough corals and sponges and other stuff competing with algae for nutrients and the right combination of herbivours to keep algae in check. Here's some links:

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Regarding DOC this book and video are excellent introductions:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check these out- thanks man ! My tank went through a horrible ugly phase about 6 months ago dinos bubble algae the lot , I would class it a pretty clean now with the blues on it’s just that back wall.

ive introduced corals again last week (just a few frags) hopefully I can get these growing and outcompeting.

on a seperate note I have just done a full house of salifert tests, every single parameter is low.

kh 7.0
Mg 1200
Ca 400
No3 >or=2
Po4 0

I do my weekly water change tomorrow (20L tank is 60L) surely the corals and algae aren’t consuming all that down.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back