Why the Kessil H380 was my best purchase ever

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by crabs_mcjones, Dec 4, 2017.

1. RobertP

RobertP Well-Known Member

Had my H380 light over the fuge about 8 months and it grows cheato like crazy. When it is gets too full I also see the top layer turn white. I did what Randy says and cut back the light a little less on time since I cannot raise it any higher due to the stand height. However, when it gets too full it is time to harvest. Love this light!

I would say over the past 8 months I have traded in about $100 worth of chaeto to the LFS for merch. In more time or if I had a bigger fuge this thing will pay for itself!

XNavyDiver and crabs_mcjones like this.

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I would also like to add that I've been adding 5ML a week of Kent Marine Iron and Manganese (per the instructions)I didn't start doing this until right before I got the H380. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

3. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member

I'm curious for people that had issues and success adding the h380 what were your nitrates/phosphates prior to adding. I would assume the people that saw amazing growth had high values and many of the failures were because the values were too low to support growth

teller and crabs_mcjones like this.
  4. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Well because I had so much algae in the display tank (both GHA and cyanobacteria) both my nitrate and phosphate were reading low to undetectable. Under 5 for nitrate, and undetectable phosphate with my test kit.

5. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

What's your recommended dose for utility blades, Salty?
    images6GHHC9HZ.jpg

siggy and crabs_mcjones like this.
  6. crabs_mcjones

LOL!

XNavyDiver likes this.
  7. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

Crabs, I ordered mine over a week ago, still on back order.:( I went with all Blue+.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  8. drtrash

drtrash Well-Known Member

Crabs you have more nutrients than you detect do success is easy, as ibacha stated what happens to Fuge cycle when nutrients are depleted. At 0 N & o P chaeto Growth stops. See a few full Triton systems crash when Fuge crashes.

9. Whipples

Whipples Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I think the key thing that needs to be clearly stated when using the H380 is that it is a 90w light! That is the same output as the A360WE and you would never just put that full blast on your reef tank without acclimating/adjusting to find the sweet spot. Mount it as high as you reasonably can, and start with very short photo periods and bump up from there.

When nutrient levels get to the desired level, consider cutting back a little on the photoperiod as this light can and will bottom them out. As a data point: on my 100g tank full triton method the light is on for 8 hours and it took me about a month to get to that sweet spot once I hit trace levels and I will likely cut it down again by a little now that nitrates have been zero for a bit. Treat it like you would your reef lighting for corals and that should help with the success of this light! :)

10. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

I did the H80 I did not get much groth but now with the H380 I through out cheato every 5 days or so

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:54 PM
    Ryanbrs and crabs_mcjones like this.
  11. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Ouch!

Anyone can stab ya in the back, it takes fronds to stab ya right in the front. And only good friends will laugh about afterwards!

Hahahahah

12. RobertP

RobertP Well-Known Member

At the time I added my H380 light my nitrates were around 8 and was fighting PO3 issues cause it was around .12. Tank was pretty new at the time. The light grows chaeto IF there is something for it to grow from. So when my nutrients dropped, the growth of the chaeto dropped off. When I was fighting GHA this summer I did not get much growth because it was all in the GHA already and I cut back nutrients just trying to kill it off. Once it was defeated the chaeto grew really well again until my nutrients bottomed out. Started dosing potassium nitrates just to get my nitrates up to 5 and I keep the chaeto trimmed back so it doesnt strip too much out. PO3 reads .02...both of these are on the low side but certainly not ULN low.

I know lots of guys have luck with ULN systems but my LPS were all receding and looking bad. Once I got nitrates up to 5 then they woke up. Also seeing nice SPS growth as well.

13. Ryanbrs

Ryanbrs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

This is one of the plans we have been discussing for cycling the ULM tanks. Get the fuge functioning full steam before going live with the display.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM
  14. drtrash

drtrash Well-Known Member

Reality is Fuge needs to be treated like the display across the board, plug n play and let it ride never ends well

15. cardiffgiant

cardiffgiant Active Member

In January 2017 I started running a eshoppe curve over half of my Red Sea 525xl sump. I could keep chaeto stable, but didn't get much growth. I was also able to get one out of 3 mangrove chutes to sprout. I switched to the H380 in July and had to start pruning chaeto within 4 months. I also have 20+ mangrove chutes that are all doing well. It's not a cheap light, but the results are impressive!

Ryanbrs and crabs_mcjones like this.
  16. Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck Member

Exactly! That's what I am thinking. Well, if you guys are considering it, I can't be too far off! That's my plan!

drtrash and crabs_mcjones like this.
  17. crabs_mcjones

I did something similar. When I first started the H380 I left my lights off for 2 to 3 days to kind of give the chaeto a fighting chance. Now i'll occasionally do it on days that i'm not going to be home just to help choke out some of the hair algae that's left.

Bradley Keck and Ryanbrs like this.
  18. Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck Member

Good to know! By the way, my daughter's love that song man. I had to hear it like a million times! Love it!

19. minus9

minus9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just received mine today. I'm starting it tonight, but only for two hours to start. I'll add an hour each week as I go and keep an eye on the chaeto.

crabs_mcjones and Whipples like this.
  20. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member

So I'm familiar with the tuna sun and tuna blue but not the H series. Are you not able to set the intensity lower? I would recommend starting at a low intensity for 12 hrs or 24 depending on how you run your then ramp it up over time till you get to the sweet spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted