Will 2x3s be enough to support a 75 gallon tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fishy888
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2021
Messages
3,982
Reaction score
14,113
Location
Decatur, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about building a new stand for my 75 gallon tank. I have plenty of 2x3 lumber on hand as well as some 2x4 lumber but not enough to build the whole stand with it. Would 2x3s work or am I asking for trouble?
 
If I were to try and build a stand out of 2x3 I would use more sticks than when I used 4x4’s and made a simple 4 post with 2 decks (tank on top- sump below) stand that looks fine in the garage but not pretty for the wife’s living space:)

If you are skilled at all it can be done, it’s just more work to assemble the extra pieces carefully so that they work together to carry the load.

For me a plywood deck ( or two) help spread the weight load to all the legs needed below. Be safe and add in cross members to address shearing issues from earth quake and water movement.

Take the challenge for yourself, fill it outside and bump it a bit to make sure you got it done right before you bring it inside where the risk will live. Good luck!

goose GIF

Spruce Goose flew, this can too!
 
Thank you everyone. I will definitely be careful if I do this.
 
I used 1x4 for all of my 75g stand, besides the top two pieces that span the length of the tank. For those I used 2x4. No center brace from the top of the stand to bottom either, it's completely open.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new