Will 3 Radions be "enough"?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started a new build (you can see my build thread HERE) and am on to finalizing my lighting. After looking around I think I've settled on the new Radion G6 Pro - FWIW, I like the spread (similar to the SKY), the coloration options (I want my corals to pop but I'm not a all blue, all day kinda guy...I like the fish to look normal too!), and the fact they offer a bit more shimmer than the SKY.

I'm getting a Reefer-S 850 G2 which is 6 foot, 180 gallon display (plus 45 gallon sump). I'm building an HNSA scape with 3 structures. I plan to have several SPS on one side of the tank and an LPS "island", primarily torches and gonis, on the other side. I'll also have some bottom-of-the-tank LPS like acanthos, lobos, scolly.

Originally, I had planned on mounting 3 G6's across the tank for lighting. But now I'm worried they won't put out enough PAR to support all those SPS. Should I consider running 4 lights? Is that overkill (not to mention a good chunk of additional cash)?

I welcome all input and perspective....love the support I get from the R2R community!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used four in a seven foot tank, and still love that classic AB+ based color. Versus three... you can raise them a little higher off the water you will get more even spread and it makes it easier to work on the tank. You won't miss the extra money spent later.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used four in a seven foot tank, and still love that classic AB+ based color. Versus three... you can raise them a little higher off the water you will get more even spread and it makes it easier to work on the tank. You won't miss the extra money spent later.
Thanks for the insight!

I like the idea of being able to mount them a bit higher. Is that what you did? How high did you mount them? Any idea on how that impacted PAR levels?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be happier with four XR15s for your setup. The G6 already has more spread so standard RMS mounting height is fine.

I have a 750 (same dimensions) with two XR30 and two XR15 G5 Blues.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish colors with these Radions? The stores always keep the lights very blue and the coral colors are magnificent but the fish look washed out and gray. Seeing a gray yellow tang and fox face is not pleasing. Also are you blinded by the light when you sit in a chair and look over at the tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish colors with these Radions? The stores always keep the lights very blue and the coral colors are magnificent but the fish look washed out and gray. Seeing a gray yellow tang and fox face is not pleasing. Also are you blinded by the light when you sit in a chair and look over at the tank?
Florescent (I run a custom schedule on my blues so while there is "blue", it's not completely blue).

CCB74CA6-BEDE-4EED-A7A4-6E6B6FDC417F.jpeg E5AFC3ED-BEED-4428-8A55-EC95973CB0B3.jpeg 609F4E3A-E013-42F3-A1CD-CA078A462937.jpeg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be happier with four XR15s for your setup. The G6 already has more spread so standard RMS mounting height is fine.

I have a 750 (same dimensions) with two XR30 and two XR15 G5 Blues.
I'm actually thinking about four XR30s - really want to be sure I get the maximum spread and have ultimate color/PAR flexibility.

Does that change your thinking knowing I'm looking at the XR30s instead of the XR15s?

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them at about 20 inches if I recall correctly. Those wwc tanks use xr15s on some tanks (xr40s on others) and also T5 supplementation on some tanks.

I’m currently using a different LED setup on a bigger tank and have them at 20 inches / but I do miss the color of the radions.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually thinking about four XR30s - really want to be sure I get the maximum spread and have ultimate color/PAR flexibility.

Does that change your thinking knowing I'm looking at the XR30s instead of the XR15s?

The XR15's are designed for tanks that are 24-30 inches wide and deep. Doesn't your tank fall into that category? IMO, I would go with 5 XR15 pro's over the 30's. The pro will give you more options with the color spectrum than the blue will.

The 5 XR15's will also give you the flexibility of putting more lights over the light loving SPS and fewer lights over your LPS since you are looking at dividing the tank.

If one light goes out, you loose 20% of the lighting until fixed vs. 25%-33% of the lighting.

I just think that the XR15's give you a lot more options now and an ability to change things in the future if needed.

Last edited:

Markreed84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if you want to mount lights higher I don't think the g6s are the way to go, they have fantastic wide spread but they don't really have the focused par output for high mounting like previous generations unless your tanks really shallow. If you put these 20 inches high you'd have crap par and you'd light half your room.

I've actually put my xr15 g6 lower on my 2ft cube, like 6 inches above the waterline, because the spreads so wide it throws half the light over the sides of the tank wasting loads of par. Even at 6 inches above the water it still throws light over the sides and easily spreads all over my 2ft x 2ft cube.

If you look at the side by side charts in the BRS video of the par of the g6 Vs G5 mounted at 9" high, par measured at 6 inches deep you'll see the par numbers at that height are no where near as high as the G5. These lights are designed for a low mounting height to cover a maximum area. Don't rise them high :)

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still like the idea of using the xr 15s for two reasons #1 . Is the fact that if one side of the xr-30 fails your replacement cost is 1 xr 15 which is half the cost of the 30 #2. Is placement , your able to place the light exactly where you need it . I feel because the the 30S are joined a few inches apart , to me it’s wasted spread . With the size of your tank if you use a hanging light rail your able to stagger the lights to where you would get away with 4-5 lights like with 3 in the back and 2 in the front staggered in between the space of the three in the back . Or similar with 4 lights . The nice thing is you can always add more . But doing it this way can save you money

Markreed84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still like the idea of using the xr 15s for two reasons #1 . Is the fact that if one side of the xr-30 fails your replacement cost is 1 xr 15 which is half the cost of the 30 #2. Is placement , your able to place the light exactly where you need it . I feel because the the 30S are joined a few inches apart , to me it’s wasted spread . With the size of your tank if you use a hanging light rail your able to stagger the lights to where you would get away with 4-5 lights like with 3 in the back and 2 in the front staggered in between the space of the three in the back . Or similar with 4 lights . The nice thing is you can always add more . But doing it this way can save you money
I'd always get multiple xr15s over 30s considering the cost is the same. I wouldn't lIght a large tank with them though, too expensive for me, I think I'd go for multiple LED bars.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Radion XR30/XR15 G5 Blue setup running a variant of the "Radiance" template @75%. These are the latest PAR numbers with an Apogee meter. Red numbers are directly below the lights at the water surface, black numbers are along the front edges of the glass, white numbers are taken exactly where indicated (usually center) and blue numbers are more towards the back of the tank. As you can see, the XR30s generate a lot more light than the XR15.

fts-par.jpg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if you want to mount lights higher I don't think the g6s are the way to go, they have fantastic wide spread but they don't really have the focused par output for high mounting like previous generations unless your tanks really shallow. If you put these 20 inches high you'd have crap par and you'd light half your room.

I've actually put my xr15 g6 lower on my 2ft cube, like 6 inches above the waterline, because the spreads so wide it throws half the light over the sides of the tank wasting loads of par. Even at 6 inches above the water it still throws light over the sides and easily spreads all over my 2ft x 2ft cube.

If you look at the side by side charts in the BRS video of the par of the g6 Vs G5 mounted at 9" high, par measured at 6 inches deep you'll see the par numbers at that height are no where near as high as the G5. These lights are designed for a low mounting height to cover a maximum area. Don't rise them high :)

This is a big reason why I was leaning toward 4 XR30s instead of the typical 3. I was thinking 4 of them mounted at the recommended height (I'd probably just use Ecotech's mounting arms) would leverage the great spread and color and get me a bit more PAR. Am I off in thinking that?

Markreed84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Radion XR30/XR15 G5 Blue setup running a variant of the "Radiance" template @75%. These are the latest PAR numbers with an Apogee meter. Red numbers are directly below the lights at the water surface, black numbers are along the front edges of the glass, white numbers are taken exactly where indicated (usually center) and blue numbers are more towards the back of the tank. As you can see, the XR30s generate a lot more light than the XR15.

fts-par.jpg
Just be aware that you won't get that par with the g6 mounted at the same height as the G5s. As you can see below, big drop in par. In theory the light should be getting around the corals a bit better but at the end of the day it's still a point source light. I actually think in most cases I'd prefer the G5 spread/par, but maybe that's just me.

Screenshot_20220615-151203.jpg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always get multiple xr15s over 30s considering the cost is the same. I wouldn't lIght a large tank with them though, too expensive for me, I think I'd go for multiple LED bars.
Totally get that. I've budgeted for the expense but would completely understand someone going a different direction to save some $$$.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back