Will 3 Radions be "enough"?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that you won't get that par with the g6 mounted at the same height as the G5s. As you can see below, big drop in par. In theory the light should be getting around the corals a bit better but at the end of the day it's still a point source light. I actually think in most cases I'd prefer the G5 spread/par, but maybe that's just me.
Nope, you most certainly will not. I think the increased spread on the G6s could work better for wider tanks.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've just started a new build (you can see my build thread HERE) and am on to finalizing my lighting. After looking around I think I've settled on the new Radion G6 Pro - FWIW, I like the spread (similar to the SKY), the coloration options (I want my corals to pop but I'm not a all blue, all day kinda guy...I like the fish to look normal too!), and the fact they offer a bit more shimmer than the SKY.

I'm getting a Reefer-S 850 G2 which is 6 foot, 180 gallon display (plus 45 gallon sump). I'm building an HNSA scape with 3 structures. I plan to have several SPS on one side of the tank and an LPS "island", primarily torches and gonis, on the other side. I'll also have some bottom-of-the-tank LPS like acanthos, lobos, scolly.

Originally, I had planned on mounting 3 G6's across the tank for lighting. But now I'm worried they won't put out enough PAR to support all those SPS. Should I consider running 4 lights? Is that overkill (not to mention a good chunk of additional cash)?

I welcome all input and perspective....love the support I get from the R2R community!
Yes 3 be enpught to start.

Markreed84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, you most certainly will not. I think the increased spread on the G6s could work better for wider tanks.
Yes exactly. I love my G6 but personally I think some people will be disappointed unless ecotech start to offer a mounting arm with adjustable height) or an alternate lens that's more focused. I'm hoping BRS will address a lot of this in their full breakdown but we'll see.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once people start complaining about the spread being excessive on the G6, Ecotech will come out with another face plate that you can swap out that will be like the G5. Of course it will carry a hefty price tag.

The Ecotech marketing hype machine keeps chugging along;)

Markreed84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once people start complaining about the spread being excessive on the G6, Ecotech will come out with another face plate that you can swap out that will be like the G5. Of course it will carry a hefty price tag.

The Ecotech marketing hype machine keeps chugging along;)
For me the spread works really well as I've got an open top hood and mounted at 6" the hood hides the light and all my cabled beautifully and I get great coverage. However if I'd purchased the mounting arm I'd have been super annoyed. It's surprised me that in the videos BRS have done so far they've completely skipped over the reductions in par whilst they heap praise on the flat spread. People with mounting arms will be swapping out their old gen radions are wondering where the hell their par has gone

Back