Will a purple dottyback terrorize my tank?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although relatively new experience, my experience is similar to OrionN. I have a 150G 5ft tank, I have a mated pair of Royal Grammas (transferred from another tank and have been together almost 3 years). Added a trio of orchid dottybacks. At first the Grammas were puffing up, but all bark and no bite. After a day they barely take note of them.

Initially there was a fair amount of squabbling between the dottybacks, but that has settled. They were the captive bred from live aquaria and added all at the same time. The first couple days were pretty stressful to watch and I was sure there would end up being only one. They mostly swim together and are very entertaining to watch interact. Every once in a while for no reason at all one will go after another one, and there are frayed fins from time to time. The female was with eggs this week and it was fun watching the males try to flirt with her.

I have since added an exquisite firefish and midas blenny. The dottybacks did check out the blenny, but no aggression.

FWIW that was my experience with them.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the info here is flat out WRONG. Dottybacks are excellent fish...............................................................................................................................................................................................................for the sump.

kennydoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my purple dottyback gets along with everybody? he’s not captive bred and he kind of just swims around at the front. he used to chase the blue damsels at first but he quit and now just chills. hope i didn’t jinx it but he’s quite a nice fish? maybe mine just has a brain problem since usually they are evil

Rico11mac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a purple dottyback based on live aquaria's "semi-aggressive" labeling, as I don't want any highly aggressive fish.

So the fish seemed to be doing fine, but abruptly died last night. Upon inspection, it looked like his right fin was torn up. I kind of think he went to war with my springer damsel... And lost.

I saw no aggression from either, but the dottyback was hanging around the springer's cave... So maybe they clashed in the wee hours.

Anyway, after I found the dotty dead, I looked to replace him. During this time, I noticed that most people really think purple dotty's are nightmare fish. I personally didn't see that, but he wasn't a very established fish, either. I did see him go head to head with my royal gramma, but it was limited to a stare down.

So here's the question... Should I replace him? Or should I... And I hate to say this... But should I count myself lucky that I lost a troublemaker before he turned the tank upside down?

I have a 125 gallon tank, 6 feet long. I currently only have it populated with a few inverts and 8 small fish.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 springer damsel (he's chill)
1 azure damsel (also pretty chill)
1 royal gramma
1 blue/green chromis
1 yellow clown goby
1 green clown goby
2 peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs
Assorted hermits and snails

If I replace the dottyback, am I signing the death warrant for some of my little guys? Is it worth considering an orchid dottyback? I hear they are much less aggressive.

Great questions and great job doing your research BEFORE buying any specimen. Luckily, I'm able to disagree with most people on here as I apparently have a dottyback that is more on the end of semi-aggressive if even aggressive at all. I have an orchid dottyback, AKA purple dottyback, that apparently knows his place. I'm guessing that could be because 1) I have plenty of hiding places, and 2) I introduced him closer to last out of my 10 total fish. I have a Desjardinii sailfin tang that rules the roost. Everybody gets out of his way. My other fish are blacker ice clown, percula clown, yellow clown goby, purple firefish, flame hawk, flame angel, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny. Even though I have a 75 gallon (yes I know that I will need to move the sailfin eventually, I don't need to hear any comments about that) I don't have any aggression issues or fighting. Like I said, they know where they stand on the totem pole and they have plenty of overhangs, crevasses, burrows, rockwork with lots of holes big enough for most types of fish, etc.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback, AKA purple dottyback...
2 different species. Orchid dottyback is Pseudochromis fridmani, purple dottyback is Pseudochromis porphyreus. 2 different species, 2 different temperaments.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. fridmani is not aggressive, good community fish even with smaller species. P. porphyreus is very aggressive. I would not put a P. porphyreus in my tank, even a 320 gal tank.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two kinds of the orchid dottyback: Wild caught and aquarium bred. The aquarium bred is much calmer and a lot less agressive now after many generations.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught Orchid Dottyback are extremely expensive. I don’t think you can get one unless you are in the know and actively hunting for one.
They are from the Red Sea and elusive difficult to catch

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a purple dottyback and ended up donating him/her to lfs because of his/her very aggressive behavior towards just about every other fish in my tank not to mention either the dottyback or the filefish killed (and possibly ate) 7 sexy shrimp not sure did read filefish are known to like small shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I also had a purple dottyback and ended up donating him/her to lfs because of his/her very aggressive behavior towards just about every other fish in my tank not to mention either the dottyback or the filefish killed (and possibly ate) 7 sexy shrimp not sure did read filefish are known to like small shrimp.
Aggression - dottyback
Shrimp- Im sure its the filefish

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience Dottybacks are the incarnation of Devil, plus impossible to catch without a total teardown. He killed all my fishes until it tried to kill the last fish standing: my girl clownfish demon and was defeated... I was so happy to do the Toilet honors to that devil dottyback... never ever again will have one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back