View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1673973671800.png

you and me and Garf aren't reading details apparently

does that not say 2020

we got our verification today ~ two years later

its ok if by saying "those tanks are set up short term" you weren't meaning they couldnt run the expo as long as that tank has ran above, I took it that way. Perhaps leading with an affirmative next time will make follow up positions clearer

I guarantee you that if polled, about 90% of all reefers would honestly believe that skip cycle marine convention tanks can't run very long, we have been trained that poorly by the bottle bac sellers at the convention/those who give macna talks on stalled cycles etc.

there are no formal cycling articles written by the reef sages, the published Phd's that discuss pure no doubt skip cycling. They'd lose a valuable revenue stream if that doubt was erased.

*I know some uncured rocks won't mini cycle, but 100% of all aquarium cured rocks won't recycle and for my readers I want just that niche of cycling carved out as testless, can't fail, don't doubt, has been in use since 1989 etc.

I want one form of cycling immune to the doubts Dr. Tim teaches, frankly. Him and about 90% of board peers.
Thanks for bringing me into it, lol. I did have a good giggle last week when you posted proof of the effectiveness of R.I.P. cleans. Looked at the link you posted and the poster went M.I.A. four days after completing the procedure. I've not looked at the link you refer to here yet.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1673973671800.png

you and me and Garf aren't reading details apparently

does that not say 2020

we got our verification today ~ two years later

its ok if by saying "those tanks are set up short term" you weren't meaning they couldnt run the expo as long as that tank has ran above, I took it that way. Perhaps leading with an affirmative next time will make follow up positions clearer

I guarantee you that if polled, about 90% of all reefers would honestly believe that skip cycle marine convention tanks can't run very long, we have been trained that poorly by the bottle bac sellers at the convention/those who give macna talks on stalled cycles etc.

there are no formal cycling articles written by the reef sages, the published Phd's that discuss pure no doubt skip cycling. They'd lose a valuable revenue stream if that doubt was erased.

*I know some uncured rocks won't mini cycle, but 100% of all aquarium cured rocks won't recycle and for my readers I want just that niche of cycling carved out as testless, can't fail, don't doubt, has been in use since 1989 etc.

I want one form of cycling immune to the doubts Dr. Tim teaches, frankly. Him and about 90% of board peers.

I can see your confusion about the less than a month old thread. The thread that you said was proof is below and it is indeed less than a month old.

You telling others how to post and that they aren't reading details is like the pot calling the kettle black. You are so full of yourself.

I noticed that you failed to show where I said that cycles expire.

You have hijacked a thread to make it about skip cycles when the OP never was attempting a skip cycle.

the risk isn’t injury from ammonia, we’ve covered that with link proof

the risk is disease vectoring regardless of how someone cycles.

I directly linked here proof that fish-in cycles arent harming fish, this guy will lose his clowns to brooklynella though by March if he keeps adding unprepped fish into a tank fully ready to carry fish.

@Erin1971Texas I supposed you feel that fish was burned too is that correct, even though we have a passing ammonia test? No matter what, it was burned?

Now, about the last link you posted which is two years old. What does that prove? What details in that link prove it? That thread looks more like multiple posts by you rambling about a point you are trying to prove. There is absolutely no science in what you are posting. CASE CLOSED!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets select ignore for each other, comms issue solved. read my posts no more/solved for you.

I have zero interaction issues with people actually in the thread, with cycling tanks.

only sideline umps give the kickback/exit for you/solved.

our whole issue started because I wasn't allowed to direct folks on simple skip cycling without redirection

if I was, we wouldnt be hassling over thread dates/verifications etc

My simple thread about skip cycling with no bottle bac has no losses, it's not in need of redirection from the sidelines, we just want to proceed and grow it as we've been doing. If I'm telling someone their system is a skip cycle one, it is.

our discussion went away from bottle bac cycle, this OP's intent, and into skip cycling. not once did I think the original description was a live rock skip cycle

it will be a bottle bac skip cycle because fritz works on day one, and implants bacteria by day 2 per Dr. Reef's thread.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets select ignore for each other, comms issue solved. read my posts no more/solved for you.

I have zero interaction issues with people actually in the thread, with cycling tanks.

only sideline umps give the kickback/exit for you/solved.

our whole issue started because I wasn't allowed to direct folks on simple skip cycling without redirection

if I was, we wouldnt be hassling over thread dates/verifications etc

My simple thread about skip cycling with no bottle bac has no losses, it's not in need of redirection from the sidelines, we just want to proceed and grow it as we've been doing. If I'm telling someone their system is a skip cycle one, it is.

our discussion went away from bottle bac cycle, this OP's intent, and into skip cycling. not once did I think the original description was a live rock skip cycle

it will be a bottle bac skip cycle because fritz works on day one, and implants bacteria by day 2 per Dr. Reef's thread.

@brandon429, anyone can go back and look at my posts and yours to see that your narrative simply isn't true. If you want to put me on your ignore list, fine. I won't hurt my feelings at all. I am not going to do the same with you because I am not afraid of debate.

Again, you avoided providing proof that I made the statements that you claimed I made.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank! What size tank is that? I'm wanting to start my tank with TBS live rock as well.
Thanks, it is a Innovative Marine 25 gallon Lagoon. I really like the shallowness, makes it easy to maintain without sticking your entire arm in the tank. I do wish the stand was a bit higher for visual purposes, and for maintenance. I plan to get the APS stand that was designed for it in a few months.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IslandLifeReef

I unblocked. Post #64 is where you and I got off track, it was asked about skip cycling right there, a side discussion began

not a big deal.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it is a Innovative Marine 25 gallon Lagoon. I really like the shallowness, makes it easy to maintain without sticking your entire arm in the tank. I do wish the stand was a bit higher for visual purposes, and for maintenance. I plan to get the APS stand that was designed for it in a few months.
Thank you, how would you cycle a 150 gallon tank and 39 gallon sump before adding TBS live rock and sand? You used two pounds of live rock and 2 pounds of media from a lfs before adding TBS live rock to a 25 gallon tank to cycle. How should I go about cycling mine. The proof is there with your tank. It is extremely clean looking as well as healthy.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all the live rock at once, and set it into your tank. Should be gtg

we didn’t get to nine pages of happy skip cycling by doing things in careful workup, we set full stacks of live rock in reefs on day one and corals and fish, and skipped the cycle / in that nine page thread

the key was that there was no cycle / there weren’t directions or steps to follow mainly just buy skip cycle rocks, set it into a tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, how would you cycle a 150 gallon tank and 39 gallon sump before adding TBS live rock and sand? You used two pounds of live rock and 2 pounds of media from a lfs before adding TBS live rock to a 25 gallon tank to cycle. How should I go about cycling mine. The proof is there with your tank. It is extremely clean looking as well as healthy.
You don't need to "cycle" it before. That is what the live rock and sand are for. That doesn't mean that you can throw the rock and sand in and then 20 fish the next day. You should still take your time, test parameters and move forward slowly.

The people that take their time to understand their system and work through problems tend to stay in the hobby. The people that throw up a tank and try to introduce 20 fish and 20 corals in a month end up leaving the hobby broke and frustrated.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with @BeanAnimal, you can put that rock in your tank without needing to cycle it. You should also follow their advice to take it slow. There may be some die off from the rock, or maybe there won't. If you test frequently and don't get in a hurry to fully stock your tank, you should have a beautiful tank that will support whatever you want to put in it in the future.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @BeanAnimal, you can put that rock in your tank without needing to cycle it. You should also follow their advice to take it slow. There may be some die off from the rock, or maybe there won't. If you test frequently and don't get in a hurry to fully stock your tank, you should have a beautiful tank that will support whatever you want to put in it in the future.
Thank you!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all the live rock at once, and set it into your tank. Should be gtg

we didn’t get to nine pages of happy skip cycling by doing things in careful workup, we set full stacks of live rock in reefs on day one and corals and fish, and skipped the cycle / in that nine page thread

the key was that there was no cycle / there weren’t directions or steps to follow mainly just buy skip cycle rocks, set it into a tank.
This is not correct for ocean live rock. Too many organisms. The seller I used recommended a cycled tank to receive the live rock.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to "cycle" it before. That is what the live rock and sand are for. That doesn't mean that you can throw the rock and sand in and then 20 fish the next day. You should still take your time, test parameters and move forward slowly.

The people that take their time to understand their system and work through problems tend to stay in the hobby. The people that throw up a tank and try to introduce 20 fish and 20 corals in a month end up leaving the hobby broke and frustrated.
Nope, I am basing my recommendation here on what the seller said I should do. Cycle first.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I am basing my recommendation here on what the seller said I should do. Cycle first.

That kinda goes back to the an earlier post where we talked about the difference between the aquacultered rock and the real reef rock and die off. Either way the "new" rock is going to show some spikes in the new tank (cycled or not) as it comes to equilibrium with the new system.

In either case, I don't see the need to "cycle" a tank of water to put live rock and sand in. In fact, how do you cycle water without the rock and sand ;)

I am still not in the "throw the live rock in and start stocking the tank" camp. I think that is silly.

If it were my system, I would put the rock and sand in, fill it up and setup the skimmer and let it run for a few weeks to see what happens. I wouldn't be in a hurry to add anything until I saw signs of life on the rock and in the water column.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I would do it. Go to 2 or three LFS and purchase a pound or two of wet "live" rock from each one. Different sources increase the odds of bacterial biodiversity. Then purchase a few pounds of ceramic media. This will provide extra surface area for bacterial colonization from the live rock. There is no need for bottled bacteria. I used Dr. Tim's ammonia source to feed the cycle. I only dosed it 3 times and the last time was just to see how quickly it got converted. The cycle was complete in 9 days, but I waited a couple more weeks because I drove to Tampa to pick up my ocean rock. Add ocean rock, wait one week and then add a fish or two. I kept mine bare bottom for about a month while I caught undesirable hitchhikers. Then add some live sand to top it off. I removed the LFS rocks before I added sand, or sump them along with the ceramic media. As always add livestock pretty slowly. I added my first coral a month after sand was added. I hope it works for you.
media.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kinda goes back to the an earlier post where we talked about the difference between the aquacultered rock and the real reef rock and die off. Either way the "new" rock is going to show some spikes in the new tank (cycled or not) as it comes to equilibrium with the new system.

In either case, I don't see the need to "cycle" a tank of water to put live rock and sand in. In fact, how do you cycle water without the rock and sand ;)

I am still not in the "throw the live rock in and start stocking the tank" camp. I think that is silly.
Like I said, this is what the people that sold me the rocks told me to do. It worked, see above.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, this is what the people that sold me the rocks told me to do. It worked, see above.
Of course it worked.... Just about anything will work. People make all of this way too complicated.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it worked GREAT!!
I have nothing against TBS I think it is a fine option - For me, the rock is way too dense for my liking and way too many South Florida pests ;)

Some people have fun with that stuff...

I like the Marcorocks dry rock. I think it is great stuff too. Grabbing a few rocks here and there from local stores and local reefers, as well as trading cups of sand at meetings, etc. is a great way to improve diversity as well. Maybe a good way to get bad stuff too, but not as freaky as what comes out of some of that aquacultered stuff!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back